We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Monday, 28 September 2009

Banned Book Week

So today I went on to Sparknotes as I sporadically do, and discovered that we are in the middle of Banned Book Week. Very exciting. I have read a few of the books that have been banned such as The Catcher in The Rye, James and the Giant Peach and The Diary of Anne Frank. Of course it is ridiculous that books get banned, but people are stupid and think that by banning a book they can stop you thinking about something in a certain way, well they can't so Rock On to all authors who have been banned.

Some of the authors that have been banned are...
Lewis Carrol, Maya Angelou, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Milan Kundera, John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemmingway, Joseph Heller, James Joyce, William Shakespeare et al.

Clearly there was not much freedom when these books were banned, but I am glad that I can read whatever I want to and at present I am reading Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex which incidentally is one of the books that were banned. Will write a post about it as soon as I have finished, but viva la revolution of honesty in banned books!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.