We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Friday, 7 May 2010

Boy - Tales of Childhood

For many years this has been one of my favourite books. I found it hard to believe that anyone's life could be so interesting considering how mundane my life was. Roald Dahl has been my favourite author since I was 9 years old. I remember going up to the librarian and asking if they had any of his books, of course I got the pronounciation horribly wrong, but then I was only 9 years old.


I made my way through his books quite quickly and developed firm favourites - such as Matilda and The Witches. And then I discovered BOY, and it quickly catapulted to #1 status. In this magnificent memoir of his childhood, Dahl tells of his school experiences, canings and very naughty ideas. My favourite chapter is the Great Mouse Plot [alluded to in the cover I have chosen], easily the most hillarious thing I have ever read.

So if you want to hear about a childhood recalled magically, one that you could almost be envious of (if only it were not for the canings!!!!) and wishing that it was your own; do yourself a favour and read BOY, you will enjoy it immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.