We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Saturday, 3 July 2010

Chocolat

Chocolat was written by Joanne Harris and published in 1999. This is the book that made me want to eat delectable things whilst reading - a very bad habbit I think. But who could possibly resist when there is so much chocolate talk on the pages of Chocolat?


I read the book in 2003 and found it absolutely enthralling. I loved the characters and how vividly Harris paints them. I enjoyed it so much that I could not wait to see the movie thinking that they could not possibly do anything wrong since the writing was so great, but alas. Much like the Twilight movies - the film makers lost the plot and did not do a good job at all. The only two things I enjoyed about Chocolat the movie was Johnny Depp and Dame Judy Dench. But the focus here is the book, so here's the synopsis...

Chocolat tells the story of Vianne Rocher, a young mother, who arrives at a fictional insular French village of Lansquenet-sous-Tannes with her six-year-old daughter, Anouk. Vianne opens La Céleste Praline, a small chocolaterie, and her confections quickly begin to change the lives of the townspeople through magic, setting up a conflict with Francis Reynaud, the parish curate. Chocolat is a recent contribution to the literary stream of Magic Realism. *Magic Realism which incidentally is something that I plan to post on as soon as I have finished the Magic Realism books that I want to post about*

I actually think that I want to reread Chocolat, so a trip to the library is in order!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.