We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Julie & Julia

Friday afternoon I decided to get some DVDs – trying to get back into the Friday movie nights that I used to have whilst at university. One of the titles that really called to me was Julie and Julia – which I think can count towards Paris in July. Julie & Julia is the combined stories of Julia Child – master cook - and Julie Powell – blogger and writer. Julia Child’s story is based on the book My Life in France that she wrote with her nephew about the years that she lived in Paris with her husband. Julie is inspired by Julia’s book The Art of French Cooking and decides to have a blogging project – 1 year in which to do all of Julia’s recipes. Of course my summary is very simplistic and does not do the movie any justice whatsoever, but the purpose of my blog is writing about books.

Watching Julie and Julia just opened my eyes to the vastness of books and blogging themes that people choose to adopt. Also it just proved to me yet again what a master Meryl Streep is at acting – there is no one better than Meryl. I liked seeing some French culture, and it just makes me keener to finish my degree and go overseas, and see all the amazing things that the world has to offer. Also, it gave me two books to add to the list of books that I want to read - My Life in France by Julia Child and The Julie/Julia Project (her blog) by Julie Powell. I should also add them to the books that I wish to acquire list. I just wish there was a book gifting fairy out there that could just get me all the books that I want. Also it has really made me consider starting up a food blog that my good friend Caesar suggested I do.


So if you are looking for a wonderful movie to watch that will not only entertain you, but will help you to learn something new, then go out and hire Julie and Julia – definitely one of the best movies I’ve seen in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.