We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Monday, 19 July 2010

Trouble in my Head

I first read this book in 2007 when I was asked to review it for Seventeen Magazine. It is a very different book to any of the other books that I had read before. It is a biographical book which I would rather call a memoir of Mathilde’s depression. When I first read it, the only real encounter I had with depression was when I found out that a friend of mine had depression. That initial encounter did not help me to understand depression, but this memoir helped me to understand it a bit better; however I realise now that unless you have actually suffered from depression – like I did – you will never fully comprehend it.

Mathilde tells of how she felt – wanting to disappear into nothingness and be less of a burden to anyone else. This book is not to be read for the sake of enjoyment which makes it a book that you have to read more than once to fully appreciate.

This book is very thoughtfully written and is brutally honest, and gives insight into depression that people who have not suffered from it will not ever achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.