We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Sunday, 1 August 2010

2 Birds with one stone or make that 4 birds with one stone...

When it comes to choosing some of the books that I read, I work from suggestions from lists such as Oprah’s Book Club, but more than that there is the Exclusive Books’ 101 Books to Read Before You Die, then there’s the book 1001 Books to Read Before You Die and of course 101 Great Books Recommended for College-Bound Readers. But that is not the extent of what influences my choice in books – I am a SparkNotes junkie, I love going to SparkNotes and they often have reading lists of some sort posted. The categories on SparkNotes range from topics like Welcome to Banned Book Week [which happens to be coming up quite soon!!!] which encourages you to read a banned book, to Serious Books that Don’t Suck to Books that will make your Blood Run Cold. There is never a dull moment on SparkNotes, so if you’ve never been before (tisk tisk) mosey on down and have a look!!!

I also find inspiration for future reads in every month’s O Magazine – the section Books that made a Difference to... If you are not a fan of the magazine you can find it on Oprah.com under the Book Club tab.

But back to my point, which I have really drifted away from – I just love to digress. And it reminds me of my one Classics Lecturer – David van Schoor – who would veer off the point and regain his bearings by saying “But I digress!!!” So reading from all these lists they sometimes overlap, and in reading One Hundred Years of Solitude, when I finally finish it - which will hopefully be sometime today- I can tick it off four of my lists!!!!!

One a slightly related note, I should say that I am now an ardent fan of Gabriel Garcia Marquez!!! His writing style is just so fluid despite some of his subject matter being absolutely ridiculous!!!! But that is why he is a master of Magical Realism!!!! So look out for my series on One Hundred Years of Solitude starting soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.