We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Monday, 6 December 2010

The Chronicles of Narnia

So I have decided to take a little break from Vampires as far as my reading goes, and have decided to pick up a series that I should have read when I was a child - had I only known about them. The series that I am talking about here is the Chronicles of Narnia. After reading Allie's review on A Literary Odyssey, I decided that I had to get into these books. I put out The Magicians Nephew last night to read today during the lull at school, and I am well impressed by how far I have read. I have about 40 pages to go. Not that these are long books. I am reading the Scholastics edition which has 202 pages.

This is the first book that I have read by C.S. Lewis, and even though his language is nothing like that which I so admire of Roald Dahl, it is wonderful. I think what I'll do for the Chronicles of Narnia is do a book a week as far as posting goes. So look out for the first book in the series The Magician's Nephew in the days to come.



But first, a little bit more about the Chronicles of Narnia. I am sad to say that the first time I heard of the Chronicles of Narnia was when the movie The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe came out in 2005. More can be said about this at a later stage. I watched the movie and was not really taken by it and because of that have not seen Prince Caspian. However, I think I should give the movies another try, but will first read the books, before catching up on the first two movies and hopefully can make it to the cinema to catch The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

About the books and the movies:

There are two orders in which you can read The Chronicles of Narnia. The first is in chronological order, which is what the movie producers have chosen to do. However if you want the novels to flow into oneanother in a more chronological order (in terms of the story) then it is best to read it in the manner in which it is now published. Here is the book order if you want to read it chronoligically (in publication order):

1. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (1950)

2. Prince Caspian (1951)

3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)

4. The Silver Chair (1953)

5. The Horse and His Boy (1954)

6. The Magician's Nephew (1955)

7. The Last Battle (1956)

However, if you want to read it in a manner which sets the story out chronologically in order of the start of Narnia, then you should read the books as follows:

1. The Magician's Nephew

2. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

3. The Horse and his Boy

4. Prince Caspian

5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

6. The Silver Chair

7. The Last Battle

Wikipedia has a great entry on The Chronicles of Narnia, which you can read by clicking here. I am not reading in order of publication, but rather in the chronological order of Narnia. For an article that speaks of Narnia and has some links to other Chronicles of Narnia stuff, click here.

Will do a post on C.S. Lewis this weekend. I think it is always nice to read about the genius behind great books, and it will also be interesting to learn about C.S. Lewis who I always in my mind tend to muddle up with Lewis Carroll.

2 comments:

  1. What do you think of the movies? I just finished re-reading The Voyage of the Dawn Treader in anticipation of the movie which is apparently being released this Christmas, although I don't know when it arrives here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not too taken by the first movie, but I would like to watch them this weekend. These stories are just so exciting

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.