We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Monday, 6 December 2010

Revolting Rhymes

I have said this many times before, and I will probably say it many more times - Roald Dahl is my favourite Children's author. I absolutely adore his work. He has the most marvellous way of writing, and using words, and carrying his stories across in a manner which I wish I could speak. Discovering Revolting Rhymes was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I would have discovered it sooner had it not been in the little kids' section (under 10s) in the library in town.



My Grade 6 teacher Mr Mike Miller brought the book to school one day and decided that we would do the Cinderella story from the book as our contribution to a cultural evening. The opening lines to Dahl's masterful parody of the classics has stuck with me ever since (this was 10 years ago).



I guess you think you know this story, you don't the real one's much more gory. The phoney one, the one you know was cooked up years and years ago and made to sound all soft and sappy just to keep the children happy. I write this from memory, so please excuse the lack of grammar which Dahl put in. I decided that I would read it to my English Classes whilst working as a substitute teacher, and they thoroughly enjoyed it. I must say, that once you read Dahl's take on these classics you cannot go back to the older ones.

Roald Dahl is a true genius, one who we are unlikely to see again. So if you have never read revolting rhymes, go out NOW and get yourself a copy you won't regret it. The spin he puts on Cinderella, The Three Little Pigs, Snow White, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Jack and the Beanstalk and Little Red Riding Hood will have you laughing so hard you'll be in stitches. You'll enjoy it so much you'll have to share it with your friends.

So here's to the master Roald Dahl, my life is better for having your stories in it.

2 comments:

  1. A paragraph that will always stick with me is:

    The small girl smiles. One eyelid flickers.
    She whips a pistol from her knickers.
    She aims it at the creature's head,
    And bang bang bang, she shoots him dead.

    from his version of Little Red Riding Hood.

    I remember listening to the audio books when I was little :) I love all things Roald Dahl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that paragraph, it is sheer genius

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.