We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Thursday, 13 January 2011

Reading Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier has been a book I have wanted to read for a while now, and thanks to the Read-a-long hosted by Allie at A Literary Odyssey, I have finally started it.

The way that du Maurier writes this book is almost lyrical. The way she describes things is just amazing, take this one line, which could have been said plainly but is said so beautifully


She paused, expecting him to smile, but he went on smoking his cigarette, and I noticed, faint as gossamer, the line between his brows.


and even this:

The sea, like a crinkled chart, spread to the horizon, and lapped the sharp outline of the coast, while the houses were white shells in a rounded grotto, pricked here and there by a great orange sun.

I am half way done with Rebecca, so a review on Rebecca will be up soon. I urge you to sign up for the read-a-long at A Literary Odyssey as this book is one that has to be read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.