We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Thursday, 3 February 2011

Book Stats:Oliver Twist

Title: Oliver Twist or The Parish Boy's Progress

Author: Charles Dickens

Date of Publication: 1837

Other Notable Works: A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations, A Christmas Carol

A short synopsis from Wikipedia:
The story is about an orphan Oliver Twist, who escapes from a workhouse and travels to London where he meets the Artful Dodger, leader of a gang of juvenile pickpockets. Oliver is led to the lair of their elderly criminal trainer Fagin, naively unaware of theor unlawful activities.



Oliver Twist is my first Dickens. I am presently in chapter 5 and so far I find it dreadfully sad. I am not sure whether I will be able to read the whole book, because it is just upsetting to read about a person being treated the way that Oliver and the others in the workhouse are treated. But hey, we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.