We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Thursday, 24 February 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: The Thursday Edition

So I really wanted to do this Top Ten Tuesday and thought I would just publish it late.


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

This week's Top Ten: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations. So here it is, in no particular order:

1. The Devil Wears Prada - I love the movie version of this book, so I thought the book has to be spectacular for the movie to be this great. But alas, the book did not live up to my expectations. So this is one instance where Hollywood really did good in bettering a story.

2. The Jane Austen Book Club - I watched the movie before I read the book, which may have tainted my appreciation of the book a little bit. I think the story is great and was a bit perplexed by how the ages differed so drastically from the movie. I like that the movie makes the story a bit more real with the age changes, it certainly makes it more fitting in today's society.

3. Bridget Jones' Diary - I loved this movie, and not just because of Colin Firth and Hugh Grant - it is just a wonderful story which many can relate to. It seems that the movie makers had to change a lot to transform the book into this loveable movie, and I am glad that they did because I did not enjoy the book very much.

4. Sex and the City - I expected so much from this book especially after watching every season of Sex and the City. So the translation from book to series to movie is exceptional.


And now for the books I actually had no qualms about...

5. Atonement - for once watching a movie before reading the book had an advantage. If I had read Atonement before watching the movie I would have been lost for quite a while when it comes to the same thing being seen from different perspectives. I love that the film has stayed true to the movie, it is very rare for something like this to happen so I am glad that it could be done for Atonement.

6. White Oleander - the movie stays very true to the book, and Michelle Pheiffer and Alison Lohman do a great job in bringing Astrid and her mother to life.

7. Shutter Island - Dennis Lehane is a true genius for coming up with this gem. The film depiction of the novel is just as great as the book.

8. The Virgin Suicides - Watching the movie is a lot like reading the book. Sofia Coppola translated novel to script wonderfully, portraying the limited and restricted lives of the Lisbon sisters, showing that suicide was their only way out.

9. Revolutionary Road - When I first watched this movie I was very impressed by the dialogue and especially with the crazy bit of banter the last time the Wheeler's are visited by their estate agent, her husband and son that had been institutionalised. I thought it was a liberty taken by the script writers, but to find out that it was Yates all along was just wonderful. Sam Mendes did a great job bringing the book to life.

10. Romeo and Juliet - The only film edition of this I have seen is Baz Luhrmann's. I love the way he kept the Shakespearean dialogue and put it into a modern setting. What he did was make it more appealing to the modern audience, even though the dialogue is kept the same it is put into motion in a way that we all can understand. True genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.