We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Friday, 8 April 2011

Any Witch Way - Annastaysia Savage

Any Witch Way, is the second book by Annastaysia Savage, here is the summary of Any Witch Way from the publishing house JournalStone, after which follows my review.

Summary:
Enduring the teasing and ridicule of her school mates, Sadie struggles through life as a pre-teen on the eve of her 13th birthday. Three years ago, a car crash took her mother, but Sadie never saw her body. She refuses to believe her mother is really gone. Holding fast to that feeling earns her the nickname "Crazy Sadie".
Despite her one wish to be normal. Sadie only finds solace with a snal group of unusual characters. These unlikely friends give her a "semi-normal" life outside of school in a bookstore where strange and mystical things seem to happen. In fact, if Sadie entertains her deepest suspicions, her friends are a little mystical.

Faced with fantastical encounters, unexplainable transformations, and startling fears, Sadie struggles against an unknown evil - all while searching for her real identity.


The Review:

This book reminded me a lot of Oliver Twist - in the way that you see some light at the end of the tunnel for the protagonist, but then things just get worse for them until things get better again. Whilst this book is not bad nor is it badly written, it was just not my kind of book - I am certainly not part of the target audience. There was just too much drama - too much went wrong for Sadie, and it was just a little too much for me. The publishers say that the target audience is readers age 10 and up and young adult, so I am a bit far off. I think a younger reader would appreciate it more, as I am a better read reader and expect something different from books that I read.

I do give Any Witch Way some credit for its inclusion of so many mythical creatures such as Centaurs, Sprites and Lorelei. Its a good story that has a happy ending, but I feel that the author tries too hard to make it dramatic. I will say that the plot was not transparant and I was a bit surprised when I discovered who the antagonist was. All in all, it is a good book, but something for a younger audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.