We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Monday, 25 April 2011

Happy Easter and Happy Reading


I hope that everyone is having a wonderful Easter weekend and Easter Monday so far. I also hope that this weekend has been a great time for everyone to catch up on all the reading that gets left by the wayside when we are all so very busy with life.

I have been fairly productive as far as reading goes - finishing a novel nibble, and three books. I want to do a bit more reading this week so that I can give studying for exams my full attention in two weeks time.

So let me catch you all up on what I have been doing reading wise...

1. I signed up for the Iliad readalong at A Literary Odyssey, this is the readalong for May. This epic poem has been halved for posting purposes. The first 12 books will be posted on on the 16th of May, whilst the last 12 books will be posted on on the 31st of May - plenty of time to master this giant. If you would like to sign up go over to A Literary Odyssey and do so - my edition is the Chicago version translated by Richmond Lattimore. I cannot commend this translation as so many spellings are off from the way I learnt to spell them for Classics, but it is the version that the Classics Department wanted us to read, so it is the one that I have. The Robert Fagles edition is supposed to be really good, so go for that one when buying your copy.

2. I started reading Gone with the Wind - I didn't know what to expect when reading this book, I just didn't think that I would like it as much as I do straight off the bat. I think I thought it was going to be one of those books that are a real schlep to read, but reading it has really been a breeze so far. This book consists of 5 parts, 1042 pages. So for the sake of covering the book fully and giving it the review I think it deserves I shall be posting on each of the 5 parts of this wonderful novel. So look out for part 1 of 5 of Gone with the Wind soon.

3. My review copy of Spin the Plate arrived! I was very excited, and could not wait to go to the Post Office to collect it. I will not say too much about it so look out for the review that will be up soon.

4. I read The Color Purple for the Back to the Classics Challenge. This was the first time that I had read it since my initial read in 2009, also it was the first time that I read my copy, which is quite exquisite, but that I will tell you all about in my review, so keep an eye out for that.

5. I read Debora Geary's two latest offerings - To Love a Witch and A Modern Witch. I can sincerely say that I am a fan, but for more than that you will have to wait for the reviews, so check back soon to see my thoughts.

6. Any one who knows me knows that I am a great Oprah fan, and ofcourse the books that she suggests and talks about are books that I always look for. So the past two weeks she mentioned 3 books that I will be looking to order soon [please note that South Africa's broadcasts of the Oprah Winfrey Show are not on par with those ib the USA - so you are likely to have heard about these books before]. The three books, are Decoded by Jay-Z, Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi and Me by Ricky Martin. I had heard about Unbearable Lightness before, but Ricky Martin and Jay-Z's books were news to me, I clearly have not been on top of my game when it comes to knowing which books are newly released.

7. With regards to the Back to the Classics Challenge, I have decided to read the Tale of Mr Tod for the Children's Classic instead of Alice in Wonderland, so look out for the Tale of Mr Tod, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Atonement and a to be decided book for the 19th Century Classic.

So now that we are all caught up on the "admin" side of things, I can now get round to reviewing all those books that I have read.

P.S. You may have noticed that I have a slightly different style of reviewing now, it works for me a lot better than the way I had been reviewing books before. Previously I would sort of summarize the book and talk about what I liked and disliked at the same time - this did not allow for very clear thoughts. So the new way of reviewing is starting off with a synopsis or summary of the book, followed by my thoughts - it is just easier for me to keep track of what I wanted to say about the story by just saying it, it is a lot simpler too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.