We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Gunpowder Green - Tea Shop Mysteries #2

Charleston's annual Isle of Palms Yacht Race is the perfect occasion for boiled crab, iced tea, and social téte-a-tétes. From their vantage point in White Pine Garden at the top of the Historic Peninsula, Theodosia Browning and her fellow picnickers watch sleek J-24s hurtle towards the finish line, masts straining, spinnakers billowing. But the dramatic battle between Charleston's two rival yacht clubs turns tragic. The ancient Civil War pistol used for the traditional finishing line gunshot suddenly explodes, killing the patriarch from one of Charleston's oldest families. As her neighbors go into mourning, Theodosia begins to unravel a family secret that stretches back over a hundred years, making her wonder: Was this truly an accident--or murder?
TAKEN FROM www.laurachilds.com

And now for the review:

I would like to start my review by saying how stoked I was that the author Laura Childs mentioned an indigenous South African tea in this book. Rooibos Tea or Redbush as it is written in this book is a wonderful South African tea, which if you have not yet had the pleasure of drinking you have to make a plan to have some. It is a wonderful, sweet tea with a beautiful red colour that you can have with or without milk. And because it is such a sweet tea you do not need as much sugar in it. Also it is a great source for antioxidants. But enough about Rooibos Tea and onto my thoughts on Gunpoweder Green...

I really enjoyed this book, and well even though I am only on book 2, I really think that this series shows a lot of promise. The only thing I did not like is that I figured out who the murderer was again before it was revealed. I like being surprised, but this did not detract from my enjoyment. I will say though that this book has a very clever plot and is a really enjoyable mystery, also I liked that there are so many possible suspects and an added twist to this story.

I am glad that in this book Timothy Neville gets the chance to redeem himself after the ghastly impression that he gave us all in the previous book. I love the vocabulary that Ms Childs uses, her inclusion of words that are not common place is wonderful and gives you the chance to expand your vocabulary. I also love the inclusion of recipes at the end of these books as the food that gets mentioned in this book is just delectable!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.