We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Spin the Plate - the full novel review

Time has done nothing to heal childhood wounds inflicted more than a dozen years ago, nor fade the memories. Now as an adult, Jo has given up on the human race, men in particular, investing her energies in tattoo artistry and animal rescue. Francis meets Jo during an alteration between Jo and another passenger on the Boston subway. Francis, the brains and speech writer for Charles Davis a Boston philanthropist and billionaire, is painfully lonely as his job requires that he maintain anonymity plus have constant exposure to the shallowness, corruption, and cruelty of humankind. From the moment he lays eyes on Jo, Francis sees beyond her rough exterior to the genuine passionate, fearless, and beautiful person Jo is and persues her with unwavering passion.

In a compelling story on living as an incest survivor and the how-to's of love, faith, and healing, Jo discovers she is not alone in her fight to leave her past behind and move beyond sorrow into joy.


When you can't do it better, take it from the book jacket I say. This is a succinct synopsis of what to expect from Spin the Plate the full novel. But if you have read the short story or even my review of the short story, then you already will have the gist of the story that is told in this poignant novel.

So what did I think of the full length novel?

I loved it! The short story gave the less detailed version of the story, but the novel gives you a more intimate glance in the life of Jo. Having read the full novel, I feel that the questions I had after reading the short story. I feel that I understand Jo a lot better, having been given the chance to have some more flashbacks on her life. I could not understand why she would go and visit her father in prison, but then you understand through a good memory of the past and you see what a strong and compassionate person Jo really is. I understand why she felt the responsibility to stand by him to the end even though he hurt her so badly. I truly applaud her for that, but in reading this book you expect nothing less of Jo. What I love most is that the full length novel has a less open ending than the short story. I love that we get to see a lot more of the joy that Jo experiences after she and Francis get married. I loved being witness to their wedding!! I was really happy at the end of this beautiful novel of survival, because it truly could not have had a better ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.