We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Thursday, 11 August 2011

Rocket Man

It has been the longest time since I have posted something new here on Bibliophilia, and the reason is quite simple. I am once again a member of the working class... even though I do not see myself professionally going into teaching, I have taken a temporary teaching position at the school which I worked at last year. This time it is the Grade 4s that are trying my patience. It has been a real awakening, it is sad to see that children at a Grade 4 level cannot read at the level they are supposed to. It does break my heart - I love books and reading so it saddens me finding that there are children who cannot read. I still am looking for the book that will really excite them, so any suggestions will be heartily welcomed. This has been a real test for me, and also a bit of an inspiration for a future idea, as I just remembered that one day I could read. So going back to the basics of learning how to read has really given me a new respect for teachers. But enough about that...

So I have the 'leisure' to write this post at 11:30 on a Thursday morning because I have been booked off sick. It seems that children truly are incubators of viral plague, and well it hit me without me seeing it coming. Last Thursday I woke up with what I thought was a throat infection - decided I would treat it homeopathically, and see how I feel on Friday. Friday I had to go to the doctor because I felt like death. I was diagnosed with sinu-pharyngitus which is not as fun as it sounds. I was given a bag full of antibiotics, prednizone and some other things and was told to rest and since it was a long weekend, I thought I would do just that. Monday I felt better, and was gearing up for the week ahead, but Tuesday, oh woe-filled Tuesday I felt like death warmed up. I returned to the doctor to find that I had developed bronchitis, and well I have been booked off for the rest of the week. So here I am, a full week of being sick later, and well I have a bit of time and energy to finally explain my absence.

So now that you know what has kept me away from blogging, let me catch you up on what I have been reading in the mean time. So my read list is quite scant - I have just been too tired to sit down with a book and read; therefore I cannot boast a long list, but here is what I have read:

  • Oedipus the King
  • A Hidden Witch
  • Tris and Izzie
So you can expect a few reviews up soon. I am presently busy with two titles - Wuthering Heights and Thoeba - and last night I sort of started Pride and Prejudice. But I think that that is something for another post. Also I still owe a few posts on Gone with the Wind and the latest Booktown Mystery title; I will try to get round to them by this weekend, but I do not promise anything. So until I post again, happy reading and stay healthy :)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you have been sick Terri-Maree - I hope you feel better really soon!

    My suggestion for something to read to Grade 4s would be one of Roald Dahl's books. They are so much fun and kids usually love them. I tutored kids from grade 3-11 for a while a couple of years ago. I was also very sad by the lack of language and reading skills in many of the kids. Hopefully you can ignite a spark of interest in some of them.

    Wuthering Heights was one of our Grade 11 set-books and I really enjoyed it.

    Feel better!

    Shelagh
    The Word Fiend

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.