We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Sunday, 28 August 2011

The other kind of Classic

Whenever the classics are mentioned, we tend to generally think of the works of Jane Austen, Oscar Wilde, The Brontes, Dickens etc. But what I am talking about is the other classics category... The originals as far as plays, poetry and novels go... I'm talking about the works of the ancient Greeks and Romans... The people who inspired the authors of the classics like Shakespeare. How many of you have read anything by Homer or Vergil or Ovid or even Aeschylus? Not all that many I think, but who knows?

So this afternoon whilst reading through one of my study guides for Greek Comedy and it got me thinking. I should start a blog on these Classics, as one can only truly appreciate the other classics when you can see where they came from. This ofcourse will be an enormous undertaking and will have to wait until I have more control over my time, but I am very excited by the prospect of this as I can actually use what I have studied at university.

2 comments:

  1. I think that's a wonderful idea!

    I have some basic knowledge and feel very comfortable with Homer, but the others are a little new to me. I'm getting there, slowly, but I wish I knew more. I'm in the middle of Aeschylus' Oresteia and I am LOVING IT. I always forget how approachable the Greeks really are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited by your enthusiasm! I enjoyed the Oresteia, especially The Furies- they came across very well. Reading
    Iphegenia at Aules gives much of the detail preceeding Orestes' odyssey. I actually can't wait to start this new project :)I am excited by your enthusiasm! I enjoyed the Oresteia, especially The Furies- they came across very well. Reading
    Iphegenia at Aules gives much of the detail preceeding Orestes' odyssey. I actually can't wait to start this new project :)

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.