We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Thursday, 20 October 2011

That’s Life

Do note that this is going to be a long one, but bear with me please. So it is appalling how long I have been absent from blogging, and my read pile is not as high as I would like it to be, but when life happens you can’t do all you want to. I do however have a new plan to ensure that I am more present on the blogosphere and churning out more reviews than I have been. So where have I been? My job as a substitute teacher has absorbed so much of my time, and left me very tired, but tomorrow we start with summer school time which means that my afternoon will have 30 minutes more!!!! I have decided to have a mandatory reading hour (which will probably be like 2 hours) in the afternoon. With the extreme heat which we are experiencing this will be a perfect solution as the temperature here in the warmer months idles around the 38°C mark, and well doing anything in the extreme heat is just sacrilege. It seems then that the summer heat does have a perk – sweltering hours for reading. *yay summer* But now onto the bookish things that we are so obsessed with...

Books Read
As I have mentioned before, my read pile is scandalously short, but here are the books which I managed to devour: Tris and Izzie – Mette Ivie Harrison
A Hidden Witch – Debora Geary Thoeba – Donna Milward
The Secret Seven – Enid Blyton
A lotus grows in the mud – Goldie Hawn
Northanger Abbey – Jane Austen

6 books read, not my usual total, but hey at least I read.

Book Loot:
I considered doing an In My Mailbox feature to relate the books I purchased during my last book shopping spree, but then thought I would rather just list my book loot in this epic post:

Divine by Mistake – P.C.

Cast Burned – P.C. and Kristen Cast Gone with the Wind – Margaret Mitchell

Material Girl – Imogen Edwards-Jones &

Anonymous Kisses from Hell – Kristen Cast and Richelle Mead The Night of the Solstice – L.J. Smith

Night Star (Immortals) – Alyson Noël

The Children of Witches – Sherri Smith

No Country for Old Men – Cormac McCarthy

Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy) – Richelle Mead

Shadowland (Immortals) – Alyson Noël

The Call of the Wild – Jack London

Angel Time – Anne Rice

A Game of Hide and Seek – Elizabeth Taylor

Glass Houses (Morganville Vampires) - Rachel Caine

The Dead Girl’s Dance (Morganville Vampires) – Rachel Caine

Midnight Alley (Morganville Vampires) – Rachel Caine

Received for Review:
Finding Sarah – Joanne Jowell (thank you Kelly at PanMacmillan)

Read-a-longs and other things
I signed up for the Classics Circuit Gothic Novels tour. I signed up to read either Northanger Abbey or The Hunchback of Notre Dame. So far I have read Northanger Abbey, and if time permits I will read The Hunchback of Notre Dame too. So come back and check out my Classics Circuit post on 26 October for my review of Northanger Abbey. Allie at A Literary Odyssey with Adam from Roofbeam Reader are hosting a Dracula (Bram Stoker) Group Read for October. So come check back later in the month for my post on Dracula. I might only get to Dracula next month, so please be patient for my review. If this sounds like your kind of group read go on over to A Literary Odyssey (http://aliteraryodyssey.blogspot.com) or Roofbeam Reader and sign up.



Now reading:

Night of the Solstice – L.J. Smith

Midnight - L.J. Smith

Dracula – Bram Stoker

Enid Blyton’s Secret Seven Series



The TBR pile
Whilst at any given time there are probably more than 100 books on my TBR pile – I have decided that for the sake of simplicity – I have a short, medium and long term TBR pile. I shall now feature my short term TBR pile, which tends to change almost daily...

Finding Sarah Wuthering Heights (I decided to start this one again)

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

The Poisonwood Bible Possession

The Duchess White Oleander (re-read)

Revolutionary Road (re-read)

The Call of the Wild A Passage to India

Sense and Sensibility

The Blighted Troth Bossy Pants

The Unbearable Lightness of Being (re-read)


Whew... that was a long one. Watch this space for new reviews...

1 comment:

  1. Hey M! from your list of books I'm pretty sure Cormac McCarthy will be a really good read as for the rest I can't comment since I don't really know the authors. Just to consider I think you should find and read Sand Child by Tahar Ben Jeloun. It's a new Modern Fiction course book which I plan to read over vac. it sound really good ...FYI ... look who's finally allowed to post :)

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.