We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Saturday, 31 December 2011

2011: In review


I cannot believe how the last few days of 2011 have just flown by. Whilst it has been a stressful year, it has also been a year with many highlights and several achievements, so here is my review of 2011...

January started off a bit shakily - with Rebecca and a day at the Cricket being the highlights. The cricket did not end favourably for me, but I did get to see India play live which was a goal achieved. I read 7 books, which I think was a good start to the year.

February was amazing - with the week I spent in Cape Town. I realised a dream and crossed something off of my bucket list when I saw U2 live. It was amazing - beyond amazing actually. The experience of a life time. I don't think that there could have been a better first U2 experience than with the 360degrees tour.

March was a month for rereading the Sookie Stackhouse books (Southern Vampire Mystery Series) and saw me turning 23. Which until recently has had me freaked out.


April was rather unremarkable except for the Cricket World Cup final which saw India taking the cup. Of course I hoped that the Black Caps would win, but I don't want to get into that BEAUTIFUL catch by Nathan McCulllum that was not given out. But then again, how can you stay angry for soo long with all the cricket that was played.

May is a bit of a blur, so is June - but that is because I spent soooooooooo much time being sick with everything from sinusitis to bronchitis to the flu to pertussis. It was just awful. Heck the same applies to July and August. Except for my fond memories of Gone with the Wind July is a blur. But from July till November I worked at Saint Teresa's which has scarred me permanently.

I have never been a children person - but this experience has just removed any future possibility of ever having a future with children in it. But moving swiftly to better things. Three words: Rugby World Cup - this is one of my favourite events every four years. I love the game of rugby - and I support just about everyone - coz I just love the game. So very unSouth African of me. But it is just who I am. The highlight of the World Cup was when The ALL BLACKS beat France twice - the second time to win the World Cup. Much deserved after all those years. And the best thing is I got to rub it in the faces of all the Springbok supporters at school who said New Zealand did not stand a chance. They ate their words.


I had to write an aptitude test in October for which I got 75% and got hired to work at a marking centre which in itself is a soul killing job - 12 hours a day for 12 days. And then I had a job interview - and landed the job. So October brought me many good things.

The last few months of the year were quite unremarkable - because of working so hard and having exams and all that. But all in all, 2011 has been a good year for me. Well except for being sick so often.

Reading wise, I exceeded my target of reading 52 books i.e. a book a week. This will see an increase in my target for 2012. So many amazing books read, so many new ones discovered and a TBR pile that is still teetering.

The saddest moment for me was the last episode of the Oprah Winfrey Show - it just broke my heart. I lost one of the people who I get so many of my book recommendations from. When the King retired, there was still Oprah, but now there is no one with that kind of show.


Of course there was also the excitement of the Royal Wedding - Will and Kate, and then Charlene and Prince Albert. We lost the eternally beautiful Liz Taylor, the talented but troubled Amy Winehouse, the man who I will always think of as Kenicky - Jeff Conaway and the marvellous Steve Jobs. But enough sadness, here is to putting 2011 to bed, and hoping that 2012 will be a better year - with more books and more joyful happenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.