We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, 13 December 2011

End of the year book survey - 2011 edition

Well it's that time of the year again - with 18 days to go until 2012 it is time to reflect on the books that we read in 2011. Much like last year Jamie from the Perpetual Page-Turner has this survey which makes doing that so much easier. So without further ado, here we go......

1. Best Book You Read In 2011?

This is a tricky one to answer as I read so many wonderful books - but one does outshine the rest - Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. Let me just say that I am planning on rereading this beauty in 2012...

2. Most Disappointing Book/Book You Wish You Loved More Than You Did?

Tris and Izzie. I expected so much more from this book - but it just was a bit toooooooooooooo unreal.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2011?

Hmm... this is a tricky one, but I would have to say Jackie O: On the Couch. I was a bit put off when I saw it was fiction - but then I was just blown away by how it portrayed Jackie, and well I just could not stop reading and was quite sad when I got to the end.

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2011?

I think I still most recommend I am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne - even though I read it last year it is still just so AMAZING how Ozzy's life was when he was younger. If you have not read it, go and read it NOW!!!!!

5. Best series you discovered in 2011?

This has to go to two series. Firstly a well established series - The Booktown Mystery Series by Lorna Barrett - can I just say WOW - I love how I have not been able to see through the plots!!! And second - a new series or trilogy - Starcrossed - I daydreamed about this book for a long time after reading it - I dreamt about Lucas - I wished I was Helen... But enough gushing - go and experience it for yourself.

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2011?

I am so glad that this is a plural answer - Josephine Angelini, Lorna Barrett, Daphne du Maurier, Katherine Webb - I just adored The Legacy, Donna Anastaci. [I do notice that there are only female authors on this list. Reason: I only read 1 book by a male author - something I have to remedy in 2012].


7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Unbearable Lightness: A story of loss and gain by Portia de Rossi. This book haunted me - this is not something that you read for fun - it is just too much. It is so sad that such a beautiful woman felt so bad about herself that she went to such extremes.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2011?

I have to list two over here: Gone with the Wind and Starcrossed.

9. Book you most anticipated in 2011?

Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris as well as The Sookie Stackhouse Companion Novel. I am yet to work my way through all of the Companion Novel - but I love what I have read so far. Dead Reckoning just left me with more questions, and frustrated that I have to wait till 2012 to get them!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2011?
















11. Most memorable character in 2011?

Without a doubt - Rhett Butler. I could dedicate an entire post to him [and I think I should] - he was on my mind for weeks after I finished Gone with the Wind.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2011?

A lotus grows in the mud - this book is just magnificent. I am sad that it took me so long to discover - but I am soooooooooooo glad that I did.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2011?

Gone with the Wind - I should not have read the last page - the ending haunted me for weeks. I just could not handle it.

14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2011 to finally read?

Gone with the Wind - I have had this beaut on my shelves for the longest time - borrowed from the library and renewed a million times - until I decided let me just get this book over and done with - but boy was I wrong when I expected it to be a chore...

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2011?

“The lotus is the most beautiful flower, whose petals open one by one. But it will only grow in mud. In order to grow and gain wisdom, first you must have the mud – the obstacles of life and its suffering... The mud speaks of the common ground that we humans share, no matter what our stations in life... Whether we have it all or we have nothing, we are all faced with the same obstacles: sadness, loss, illness, dying and death. If we are to strive as human beings to gain more wisdom, more kindness and more compassion, we must have the intention to grow as a lotus and open each petal one by one”

from a lotus grows in the mud

16. Book That You Read In 2011 That Would Be Most Likely To Reread In 2012?

Gone with the Wind, Starcrossed, Northanger Abbey, Rebecca, The Color Purple...

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

Gone with the Wind - the ending. I was just stunned - I don't know how else to put it. But no ending has affected me as much as that of A Perfect Day For Bananafish.




4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen your favourite cover book before, it is delightful.

    Rebecca is on so many lists, I have it to read next year.

    Here is my survey if interested

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2011/12/end-of-2011-book-survey.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to read Gone With the Wind in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which Starcrossed? You now have me intrigued and there are too many online lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Starcrossed by Josephine Angelinni - AMAZING book you have to read it :)

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.