We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Friday, 16 December 2011

Tris and Izzie


Title: Tris and Izzie

Author: Mette Ivie Harrison

Pages: 272

Publisher: Egmont USA

Source: NetGalley

The Synopsis

A modern retelling of the German fairy tale "Tristan and Isolde," Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school.

The Review

I was excited about this book - I mean Tristan and Isolde is such a legendary story and a more modern take on it could be as wonderful as Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet. Did the synopsis not just have you excited? Sadly this missed out on achieving that level of awesome. Actually - and I hate being harsh - but I have to be honest - this book missed out on any level of awesome. It was just a bit tooo ridiculous and that says something coming from someone who finds other fantasy fiction novels plausible.

So why was it just too ridiculous? It was all just too much too soon. I mean I know it's not real, but don't make your story so unbelievable that I cannot enjoy it. But maybe I am being too harsh - maybe I am just not the target audience or maybe I am just not okay with what happens in this book:

1) You don't notice that your BFF is inlove with your BF.
2) You and your so perfect BF who you were planning on spending the rest of your life with like 5 minutes ago break up and you are fine with it.
3)You suddenly have magic - and it does not have you taking a beat because WOAH you HAVE MAGIC!!!!
4) Your BFF and BF hook up and you're totally fine with it.
5) Your former BF who would have done anything for you hits you for endangering his new GF your BFF and you're like "Oh well, these things happen".
6) You're being attacked by malignant magical creatures and are the secret weapon to killing the monster that killed your father - and still you are not on the verge of a breakdown?

Well, for me that is just tooo unbelievable. If this story had been written better - a bit more realistically then I would definitely rate it better. But sadly it did not live up to my expectations. I expected so much more, I wanted to actually learn a bit more about Tristan and Isolde - but I guess I should just watch the movie Tristan and Isolde to do that.

2 comments:

  1. Aww bugger and here I was looking forward to reading it. I think I've totally just changed my mind. The points you bring up are valid and would definitely having me feel the same way about it. Sure there must be better retellings of Tristan and Isolde out there! Sorry it didn't quite meet your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel bad now for putting you off, I don't like not liking a book, but it was just too much. But perhaps you should still try it and see how you feel about it.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.