We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Monday, 9 January 2012

Dark Inside


Title: Dark Inside

Author: Jeyn Roberts

Pages: 360

Publisher: Pan Macmillan

Source: Won from Lauren over at Violin in a Void

The Synopsis

Four teenagers on the same road in a world gone mad. Struggling to survive, clinging on to love and meaning wherever it can be found. THE DARK INSIDE is a stunning, cinematic thriller: 28 DAYS LATER meets THE ROAD.

Since mankind began, civilizations have always fallen: the Romans, the Greeks, the Aztecs…. Now it’s our turn.

Huge earthquakes rock the world. Cities are destroyed. But something even worse is happening. An ancient evil has been unleashed, hooking on to weakness, turning the unwary into hunters, killers, crazies.


The Review

This was my first ever dystopian novel - and I don't think I could have asked for a better one. My heart was racing throughout the read. My nerves were on edge, I started biting my nails!!!! This was just terrifying!!! With it being 2012 and all that and there being all these theories and rumours about the apocolypse being around the corner this book could infact point to a not so distant reality - I will not lie - I was scared.

But it was marvellous - what a journey!!! The instinct to fight for survival is just amazing and this book points out so many truths about where humanity is today - one cannot ignore what is being said. I loved the way it switched between the 4 main characters, but then at one point in Aries' story I just could not wait and went to her next section. That was the only time I got frustrated. But the split perspective is truly what makes this book unique - you tell 4 stories of the same experience from different points of view and at the end they intersect - brilliant. And whilst I was enthralled by this book, I have realised that dystopian novels are not my cup of tea, but I will continue to read whatever Jeyn Roberts writes.

So if you are looking for a book that could truly rival Apocolypse Now and The Day After Tomorrow - then go out and get yourself a copy of Dark Inside. I could very easily see this being turned into a movie if not a series - it would be very gripping.

An aside - PLEASE ONLY READ THE SYNOPSIS IF YOU HAVE ALREADY READ DARK INSIDE

For those of you who read this book and for those of you who will read this book, there is a sequel due out the Summer (Winter for Southern Hemisphere readers) of 2012 called Rage Within, here is the synopsis:

PLEASE ONLY READ THE SYNOPSIS IF YOU HAVE ALREADY READ DARK INSIDE

Aries, Clementine, Mason and Michael have survived the first wave of the apocalypse that wiped out most of the world's population, and turned many of the rest into murderous Baggers. Now, they're hiding out in an abandoned house in Vancouver with a ragtag group of surviving teens, and trying to figure out their next move.

Aries is trying to lead, but it's hard to be a leader when there are no easy answers, and every move feels wrong. Clementine is desperate to find her brother Heath, but it's impossible to know where he'd be, even if he is still alive. Michael is still haunted by the memories of his actions during his harrowing struggle to survive. And Mason is struggling with something far worse: the fear that he may be a danger to his friends.

As the Baggers begin to create a new world order, Aries, Clementine, Mason and Michael will have to trust and rely on each other in order to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.