We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Top Ten Authors I wish would write another book



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

1. Margaret Mitchell - I loved Gone with the Wind and I really would like to know where Ms Mitchell would go with a next book. Does Scarlet get Rhett back or not? But aside from that her writing is just beautiful, and she has a gift for describing historical stuff that sucks you in instead of boring you to tears.

2. J.D. Salinger - One of my favourite authors - he released so little despite being alive for as long as he was. Hopefully someone will find some of his stuff hidden and will publish it to give me more Salinger. Also, he just has a gift for describing the human condition and sees through everything.

3. J.K. Rowling - whilst I do hope that Voldemort stays dead - it would be nice to go back to that world - and get some more. Though I do think it would be fabulous if she would come up with a few new characters and books - her writing is just so amazing.

4. Roald Dahl - his children's books are what made me a bibliophile in the first place - his stories made you feel safe when you were in them and gave you a friend within their pages.

5. Jeffrey Eugenides - I know that he just released a book the other day, - and no I have not read it yet- but I hope that his next release will be soon - I do not want to die waiting for my next Eugenides fix.

6. L.J. Smith - I hope that she'll be bringing out some new stuff soon, because I am flying through her existing works. I also hope that the new stuff won't be stolen and then continued by ghost writers*. *this is a thought for another day.

7. Sharon Osbourne - I loved her biographies and enjoyed her debut novel, and I really hope that Sharon will pen a few more.

8. Dalene Matthee - this is a South African author who sadly passed away a few years ago - she wrote the most beautiful books in Afrikaans. Her books examine the lives and suffering of people - Kringe in 'n Bos (Circles in the forest) is my favourite. If you can read her books in Afrikaans please do so, otherwise read them in translation - you will not be disappointed.

9. Miep Gies - she wrote a beautiful book called Anne Frank Remembered. Reading about the Holocaust from the perspective of someone who was not a Jew but that chose to help a family of Jewish people is just moving and she gives so much insight. It would be nice if she had written another book whilst she was alive.

10. Charlaine Harris - whilst I do know the next Southern Vampire novel is due in May, I also know that the last one is being released next year. I do not know how I am going to part from a world that I have spent so many hours in. I suppose I'll survive, but I will put up a big fuss. Now what I do wonder is where will Ms Harris' pen take me next?

I think that in a year or so I'll do this Top Ten again to see how I have grown as a reader.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely wish Rowling would write another book! I'd love something non-Harry Potter from her

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I read somewhere that Harris knew where the Sookie series would end when she first began writing it, so she's already got her next story in mind. While I love a good series, I also like for them to end before it all gets to random.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.