We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Top Ten Books I Would Recommend to Someone who doesn't Read Biographies



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish.

I love biographies - whether it is an autobiography or just a regular old biography. The genre of biography has so many sub-sections within it - whether it is memoir, biography or autobiography; you learn so much and get a great deal of experience reading these books. So here are my Top Ten Favourites that I would recommend to anyone who does not read the genre (in no particular order)...

1. I am Ozzy - Ozzy Osbourne. I have always been intrigued by the Osbournes and who hasn't wanted to know more about the person behind the voice of the legendary song Iron Man? This book was a true eye opener as far as the life of rock stars go. The debauchery, the drugs, the danger - you have got to read this book.

2. Life - Keith Richards. Where Ozzy's book was an eye opener - this book is like an encyclopedia. The amount of information it contains - wow. If I am Ozzy was an eye opener - Life popped my eyes out of my sockets. And whilst I am still busy reading it this is a book that you have to read - it shows the great transformation brought to the music scene with the Rolling Stones.

3. Anne Frank Remembered - Miep Gies. I have always been interested in Anne Frank and the Holocaust - not in psycho unhealthy way where mass death interests you, but I have always felt some sort of connection - a kindredness about it. *I don't know if that is an actual word - but I hope that what I am trying to say makes sense* When I saw this book at the library 3 years ago, I had to read it. I was so touched by it. The view that Miep Gies gives of the Holocaust from a non-Jewish perspective is amazing. You feel the tension on the pages when Hitler invades the Netherlands.

4. A Lotus Grows in the Mud - Goldie Hawn. This was a very introspective bio - Goldie tells her life story very well, but she does more than just tell - she reflects too and that is what makes this an extra special book. Her honesty and her receptiveness to life is just amazing.

5. Bono on Bono - Conversations with Michka Assayas - this book is what made me a true Bono fan. The wisdom that he gives is priceless - he has a unique perspective of the world, and what I learnt from this book has changed me. I know it sounds cliche, but it is the truth.

6. Survivor - Sharon Osbourne - As I have said before, the Osbournes intrigue me and Sharon may be my favourite Osbourne. The way she tells the story of her life is brutally honest - and you would expect nothing less from Sharon. And she tells all - which is a very rare thing - from gastric bands, to face lifts, to celeb feuds.

7. Unbearable Lightness - A story of loss and gain - Portia de Rossi. I put this here not because it is one of my favourites, but because it is a book that everyone has to read to see what an eating disorder can do to you. This is a true story of survival and it is horrific - but it is a story that has to be told.

8. Running with Scissors - Augusten Burroughs. Watched the movie? Thought that it was crazy? The book is even crazier!!! You will not believe the stories that Augusten has to tell and what he had to go through.

9. I have Life - Allison Botha and Marianne Thamm. This book shows how one can come back from the worst thing that could ever happen to you. Raped and brutally attacked and left for dead Allison's story shows that miracles can still happen.

10. Seabiscuit: An American Legend - Laura Hillenbrand. Seabiscuit is one of my favourite movies, and when I got the opportunity to read this book I simply had to. A story of several people winning against the odds - this is a feel good bio that will have you hopeful again.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Terri: It looks like you really enjoy biographies - that is a very diverse list of amazing people. I've gotten into biographies, but of writers - I really enjoy reading someone's biography while I'm reading their novels. Happy reading, Ruby
    http://yearofreadingmybooks.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/blood-and-love-and-dickens/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that that is marvellous! One would understand so much more about the story when you know the oeuvre of the writer - I shall definitely be doing this in the future.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.