We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Friday, 23 March 2012

The Classics Club

So I know that I am late to jump on the Classics Club band wagon, but then they do say better late than never. I have been thinking about doing something similar, but now that Jillian from A Room of One's Own has gotten the Classics Club going, why not join in?

What is the Classics Club you wonder? Well the Classics Club aims to unite bloggers and readers that would like to focus more on the classics, by setting up a list and setting a deadline, so that you have a goal - but one that does not become so rigid that you quit before you have really even started. So the basic idea is to select 50, 100, 200 or more classics that you would like to read, and choose a period in which you would like to read them - whether it is a year or 5.

There are so many classics to choose from and so many different books that make up so many different kinds of classics, that you really can go wild. I think I'll go for a list of 100 - who knows I may increase it to 150 - it all depends on the list that I am busy compiling. I think that my list is going to be pretty broad - and I know I'll include modern classics such as Atonement and Middlesex. But then I do need to focus more on the classics that we all think of when we hear someone uttering the word classic, so I'll definitely be reading some Austen, Dickens and Wilde. And since I am not going to be doing any academics as of next semester, I'll have more time to focus on my progress within the Classics Club.

The Classics Club is more than just a list and a deadline - the Classics Club also provides support within the Classics Readers community, who knows, you may end up making a couple of new friends because of your love of Gone with the Wind or The Beautiful and the Damned - the possibilities are endless. Above all - the Classics Club gives you a space in which to enrich your life and sharpen your mind with the beauty and wisdom that one so often only ever finds in a classic.

So let's go against that quote that says that the classics are "something that everyone wants to have read and nobody wants to read" - join the Classics Club today! The Classics Club is also on Goodreads.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great introduction!! (PS - I DO love Gone With the Wind.) :)

    I look forward to your posts on your club selections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am really excited about this!! I am so glad you came up with the idea. Gone with the Wind is my favourite - I am so going to read it again for The Classics Club!

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.