We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, 2 May 2012

April: the month that was

Is it just me, or did April just fly by in a flash of light? Maybe it just feels as though it flew by because so much happened in April. Do brace yourself as this is going to be a fairly long post.

April was a very oxymoron type of month for me, not only was it a very lucky month for me in that my books that I won from the Women24 Book Club arrived, and I won not only a hamper of Kate Furnivall books from Penguin Books South Africa, but also a voucher from Jacana Media. I also got a few books that I ordered from Kalahari, and found 2 gems at a ridiculously low price at a second hand book shop this weekend, but more about that later. Do look out for an extended Book Loot post soon. Also, my review of Gone with the Wind is up at Women24, so click on the link to check it out!

As I said April was a very oxymoron type of month for me, as it was truly bittersweet. There were the good things, some of which were mentioned above and then the not so good things. One bad thing was that my beautiful ninja attitude cat Snakey disappeared, she just vanished. And let me tell you she was not the kind of cat to run away. Someone must have taken her or something else, but she was too loyal to leave voluntarily. And then my dog Nullah was knocked over by a car and killed. But I don't want to dwell on the sadness, I am more saying this to record it for posterity than anything else.


But back to the good things...

My cousin and I after Graduation
I got my degree!!!! That's right folks!! I am a Bachelor of Arts :) I am so proud of myself. I was not going to go to Graduation, as I did not feel that I needed the whole ceremony thing, having finished after all that happened was reward enough for me. But, I will say that I am glad that my best friend Shaun convinced me to go, as I saw many of my friends, and I was inspired to do my Honours and hopefully my Masters too. Let's hope the inspiration lasts!
Shaun and I after Grad.

I managed to read 5 books in April, and I am quite proud of that number. It is about the same as the March total I reached, so as long as there is consistency I am happy. I am not going to try to read 5 books in May, as I do have exams, and I really should start getting serious about them. I just find it hard because I don't need the credits for the modules that I am doing as I already have my degree, but I just need to get into the study zone and then all will go like a machine as far as that goes. I read mostly YA in April, and I have prepared a personal post on YA which will go up in a day or so, so keep an eye out for that. In light of all the sadness, I just needed some easy reading, and I just could not focus on Middlesex whilst I had the flu, so YA really was the best companion for me.

So onto this past weekend...

This past weekend was a super long weekend for many of us here in South Africa, Friday was Freedom Day, Monday was just an extra day because Tuesday May 1st is Worker's Day here in South Africa. It was quite a lovely long weekend which saw my family visiting the Garden Route. And if you have not been, you have not seen true beauty. The scenery, the tranquility, the beauty of the Garden Route is mesmerising, and you have to go at least once in your life. It truly is a fine experience. We left home on Thursday and slept over in Port Elizabeth. Friday we left for Plettenberg Bay, and made a few stops along the way. One of my favourite places to stop at is Storms River, there is a bridge there that is over an enormous gorge. It is quite a view looking down. I have had it on my bucket list for years, that I would walk across that bridge, I have never been able to manage it before, but I did it on Friday. I crossed the Storms River Bridge, and I am very proud of myself for doing it. It may not seem like much, but when you are walking across on this narrow little walk-way and there are enormous trucks riding over, it does get the adrenaline pumping.

Just before I went to walk across the bridge.

We arrived in Plettenberg Bay, and just enjoyed the scenery from the resort we were staying at, and I understand now why one needs a room with a view, the view was wonderful. So panoramic, you saw the hills, and countryside as well as a panoramic view of the bay, it was wonderful. Saturday we ventured into Plett, and found the most delightful French Bakery with the most delicious treats! And right across the way was a second hand book shop. I see it as fate when a book that you read about mere days before is available to you, especially when  it as obscure a title as the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. It was a scant R20.00, but it also happened to be part of the 50% off section, so I got it for a LOW R10.00. I also found the Death and Life of Charlie St Cloud, which I have wanted for a while now, and it to had the same price and discount as my other book. So I got an absolute bargain, 2 great books for R20.00.

Sunday we went to Knysna, and I absolutely adore Knysna. I arrived too late to experience anything of the Knysna Literary Festival, but next time I hope to go to a breakfast or film screening. The Knysna Waterfront and Quays are breathtakingly beautiful, the view of the Heads is just amazing. Sadly the cruises to The Heads were fully booked, but just to have been there was enough for me.

Sadly the weekend came to an end too soon, and Monday arrived signalling the time to leave Plett. But it did mean that soon we would be stopping at Jeffrey's Bay, and wouldn't you know, they were having their 50% off sale! How very fortuitous, I have been looking for a while for a bag in which to carry my books that I am currently reading, and I found a lovely one, which I got for an absolute steal.

So April was a pretty good month for me, I can only hope that May will be half as good.

Phew, that really was a long one! I hope that you have been entertained. How was April for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.