We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Saturday, 30 June 2012

Ascend - Amanda Hocking

What will she give up for those she loves?

Title: Ascend

Author: Amanda Hocking

Publisher: TOR

Pages: 330 (including short story, excluding exerpt from Wake)

Source: bought

Preceded by: Switched and Torn

The Synopsis

Wendy Everly can barely remember what it was like to feel like a normal girl. She'd wished for her life to be different but everything is so much more complicated than she'd expected. And she certainly hadn't dreamt she'd be getting married at eighteen to a man she didn't love-all for the sake of duty.

As  the big day approaches, Wendy can't stop thinking about two different men - and neither of them are her husband-to-be. Finn, quiet, strong and determined to do what's right, and Loki, dark and seductive - a sworn enemy who once saved her life...

With all-out war just days away, Wendy needs to act quickly if she is to save her friends and family. But while her loyalties and duties are to her people, deeper passions are leading her elsewhere.

And as her worlds collide Wendy must sacrifice everything she loves to save them. But will it be enough?

The Review

I could not wait for this book to be released, and I ordered it as soon as I could. I started reading it the very day it arrived. And I will say that it did not disappoint. Not very much was revealed in this book, so there were not that many bombshells, a lot did come together, and we are left with a happy ending. What more could you want from the third book in a trilogy?

There are so many triumphs in this book, and life generally just becomes a bit easier for Wendy, even though she still has many obstacles that she has to overcome in this third installment. Whilst there were parts where I felt Wendy's angst, there were also parts where I felt how Wendy is capable of anything. I was so glad when she found the key to destroying her enemy, because honestly, who doesn't like to see the bad guy getting the treatment that he deserves? The only thing I had a problem with was how Rhys and Riannon sort of just disappeared without any explanation, but they reappeared again, which is good.

The short story at the end of Ascend ties things up very nicely, and we see that Wendy gets the happily ever after that she deserves, as well as so many of the other characters in this book. I really don't think there could be a more fitting ending to a trilogy, and as a whole the Trylle Trilogy gets a thumbs up from me, I definitely see myself rereading this in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I agree that this story was a good ending to the whole thing. I'm now pretty sure I'll look for other books by this author. Check out my review here:
    http://misclisa.blogspot.com/2012/04/ascend-trylle-trilogy-3-by-amanda.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this series, and I too will be looking out for more from Amanda Hocking, she is definitely someone to be watched

      Delete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.