We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Cinder

Even in the future the story begins with Once Upon a Time

how awesome is this cover?
Title: Cinder

Author: Marissa Meyer

Pages: 387

Publisher: Feiwel and Friends

Source: borrowed

The Synopsis

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


The Review

pretty spanish cover
It is quite rare that you get a book that masters the art of adaptation. I have to say that Cinder is truly in a class of its own. With elements of Cinderella woven into the story so cleverly, I am hard-pressed to find the words that will do Marissa Meyer any justice. You simply have to read this book to see for yourself. I actually found myself flashing back to when I used to read Cinderella, I could see the pictures in my mind's eye. I found it a bit difficult to picture the androids and cyborgs, but that did not detract from my enjoyment of this story. But before I get too carried away, how pretty are the covers? And how clever!

Cinder is an incredibly clever book. I never thought I'd enjoy reading about Cyborgs and Androids, never mind Lunar people, but I absolutely loved this book.

I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that there was also a short story that acts as a prequel called Glitches which you can view over here. I am not sure whether it is better to read before or after, but if you like to know a bit about a story before reading it, then go ahead and read Glitches first, it doesn't give away so much that you find Cinder is ruined for you.

If you loved fairy tales, but think you're a bit too grown up for them now, give Cinder a try - let your inner child dream again.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for following Carole's Chatter. I have added you to the blogs I follow as well. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get around to reading this. It's still sitting on my shelf - but loved, loved, loved your review and promise to get onto this as soon as I'm done with my current reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy! :) you have to put this at the very top of your TBR pile for after your current reads :) You'll adore Cinder, not to mention Kai...

      Delete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.