We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Top Ten Summer - well in my case, Winter - Reads

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature hosted over at the Broke and the Bookish, and well since we Bookish folk always have lists of books we would like to read, why not give your list in Top Ten increments every week, to put these lists into a bit of perspective?

Since I live in the Southern Hemisphere, and we are sadly at the beginning of what will probably be a very cold winter, I shall be giving you my list of Top Ten Winter Reads. What is better in winter than huddling up under the covers with a wonderful book and some hot chocolate to warm you. And what warms the soul better than a wonderful book. Whilst I have hundreds of books on my TBR list, and my TBR pile is teetering, these are the Top Ten Books that I look forward to reading this winter:

The Harry Potter Series -J.K. Rowling

I will admit, I was late to jump onto the Harry Potter band wagon, but I am so glad that I did. I have not read these books since my initial read in 2010, and since I have them all on my list for the Classics Club, why not make them my winter reads? I recently completed my collection - I have all 7 books as well as The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I can't tell you how excited I am to read them again, but I am sure that if you have read them, then you completely understand.

Dreamless - Josephine Angelini

I flew through Starcrossed last year and it really stuck with me, in a way very few books do. I could not wait for the paperback to be released in South Africa, so I splurged on the American hardcover edition. I shall be rereading Starcrossed and then getting right into Dreamless - I cannot wait for this. I need a bit more of Paris and I need to know what is going to happen to Helen *sigh* - how we all get so involved in books!

 The Near Witch - Victoria Schwab

I finally got a copy of this, and I cannot tell you how excited I am to read it! And then there is Ash Born Boy which you can get for free, and read as a prequel to or after reading The Near Witch.

 Out of Africa - Karen Blixen

I happened to see a few minutes of this movie when I was on holiday in Plettenberg Bay, and whilst I don't think I saw enough for it to have ruined or influenced the book for me, I really am looking forward to reading this book. I have always wanted to go to Kenya, so in a way this will be a bit of vicarious travel for me, time travel, because things are not the same, but it just seems like such a beautiful story, and something that may come across as sacrilege, I do want to read it so that I can watch the movie. I signed a pledge to read the book before watching the movie, so I want to stay true to that. And this is a Classics Club read, so I can't wait to be able to share my thoughts on this.


 Wat's Nuus - Riaan Cruywagen

For those of you who require a translation, its "What's News". Riaan Cruywagen is the South African Walter Cronkite, and he truly is an amazing news anchor. He has been around forever, and is just brilliant. How I wish I just had a little bit of his talent and skill! So to be able to read about him and his life, and his career as the man who brings us the news in Afrikaans is something that I greatly look forward to.

 Franny and Zooey- J.D. Salinger

I started reading this when I was at Rhodes, but I never finished it. I enjoyed what I read, but for some reason just never picked it up again. I definitely think that this winter is the perfect time to take it out again, start over and finish one of Salinger's few full length novels.

 The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I have been dying to reread this since I saw the trailer for Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby. And since I intend going to see the film when it is released in December, I shall have to do a reread. Also, for some reason, I am seeing some similarities between Wuthering Heights and The Great Gatsby; but that is something for another day.

 The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera

I read this in 2009 for my Modern Fiction class, and I really loved it. But, it is one of those novels that you cannot simply read once, there is just much more to it. So this winter will be the time to get back to The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Along for the Ride - Sarah Dessen

I read the most wonderful review of this over at the fabulous Tammy's blog The Book Fairy's Haven, and I cannot wait to get into this, as well as the other Sarah Dessen books that I have ordered.

 Eternal and Blessed - Cynthia Leitich Smith

I read Tantalize not long ago, and I cannot wait to see where this series is going. This seems to me like a very different vampire series, and book one ended on a cliffhanger, so I really do want to see what happens next.

How hard it was to pick just 10, there are so many more. How about you? What are you looking forward to read this Summer (or Winter)?

4 comments:

  1. You're from South Africa too? :D Thought I was the only one on TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few of us intermittently that participate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen)'s story collections. I haven't read Out of Africa, though. What I love about her stories is their combination of gothic fantasy and Scandinavian period settings. Have you read any of them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read many Sarah Dessen books but I'm going to try to fix that this summer :)
    My Top Ten Tuesday: http://booknookgirl.blogspot.com/2012/06/top-ten-tuesday-summer-to-be-read.html

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.