We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Saturday, 16 June 2012

A Victorian Celebration

I am a bit late joining in on this, but I thought it would be better to ensure that I am actually going to read a Victorian book before signing up and not completing anything.  As luck would have it, I am reading Wuthering Heights which is a Victorian novel, so I can sign up for this.

Wondering what this Victorian Celebration is? Want to know where to sign up for it? Read further and you'll find out...

A Victorian Celebration is a 2 month event hosted by the wonderful Allie from A Literary Odyssey. The aim is to focus on Victorian Literature for these 2 months, and I think it's wonderful. How often do you really place the book that you are reading into a specific era? I think it makes one a bit more mindful when you do do that.

A Victorian novel is broadly defined as a book written during the Victorian Era, and you would be right in guessing that the Victorian Era is the time of Queen Victoria's Reign. I am feeling rather inspired whilst writing this post, so I may just do an entirely different post on the Victorian era and Queen Victoria. It is actually the perfect excuse to watch The Young Victoria again.

Other than Wuthering Heights - which I am really getting into - I am going to try and read at the very least 2 other Victorian novels during this period. I shall be attempting The Picture of Dorian Gray and doing a reread of Alice in Wonderland. I am hoping that these reads will go very well so that I can try George Eliot's Middlemarch and Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South. I recently ordered the BBC miniseries on North and South so I definitely need to read it before I watch it. I am also now realising how many Victorian novels are on my Classics Club list.



Other authors that form the Victorian literary era include: the Brontës,  Thomas Hardy, Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Alexandre Dumas, Mark Twain, Victor Hugo, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Herman Melville, Nathaniel Hawthorne and Henry James. Do note that this list is by not all of them, but just a handful.

Allie is doing several giveaways too, so head on over to her blog and check it out - you will be entertained by these books - they are not as difficult as you would think. They are quite enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.