We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Sunday, 8 July 2012

#4 Book 37 - Alice's adventures in Wonderland

The rabbit-hole went straight on like a tunnel for some way, then dipped suddenly down, so suddenly that Alice  had not a moment to think about stopping herself before she found herself falling down a very deep well.

My edition
Title: Alice's adventures in Wonderland

Author: Lewis Carroll

Publisher: Puffin Classics

Pages: 141

First published:1865

Source: own

The Synopsis

On an ordinary summer's afternoon, Alice tumbles down a hole and an extraordinary adventure begins. In a strange world with even stranger characters, she meets a grinning cat and a rabbit with a pocket-watch, joins a mad tea-party and plays croquet with the Queen! Lost in this fantasy land, Alice finds herself growing more and more curious by the minute...

Before I begin the review...

Since this read of Alice in Wonderland has been not only for the Classics Club, but also for A Victorian Celebration, I thought it would be fun to give a little Victorian anecdote about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and it truly is Victorian:

When Queen Victoria read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland she enjoyed it so much that she told Lewis Carroll she wanted to read more of his work. To her astonishment she received a copy of his latest book on mathematics. 

The Review

from pinterest
from pinterest
For much of my life I have known the story of Alice in Wonderland. I got a copy when I was 5 years old, but I never really read it, and only rarely looked through it because I found the illustrations rather scary.

I loved seeing Alice in Wonderland on TV when I was younger, and some years ago they aired a miniseries on Aliice in wonderland on Sunday nights here in South Africa so I became more familiar with it then. We have this really cool biscuit tin with Alice in Wonderland on it, and I suppose that intensified my interest in the story. In 2009 for the first time I watched the Disney animated Alice in Wonderland, and I quite enjoyed it. I have yet to watch the Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter Alice in Wonderland, but now that I have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland again, I feel no qualms about seeing the movie.

This read of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland has only been my second ever read of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Now whilst you may shout sacrilege I think I should explain why this is so.

Whilst I find the idea of Alice in Wonderland - with the Cheshire Cat, the flamingos and cards charming I don't very much like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I appreciate the word play and the ridiculousness of this world, but I do not like reading it. I will give it the praise that it is due, because it truly is a remarkable story for the time in which it was written, but it is just not my kind of story. Perhaps in time my opinion will change, but I just don't much care for this book.

 I have been thinking about why it is that I don't like Alice's adventures in wonderland, and I just can't put my finger on it, so until I can, let's just keep this as

                              To be continued... 

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Terri Maree You may already have seen that July's Books You Loved is now up and open for entries. Here is the link Books You Loved July Edition if you would like to contribute something.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.