We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Sunday, 22 July 2012

#6 Book 67 - The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

 The road to the City of Emeralds is paved with yellow brick

Title: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Author: L. Frank Baum

Publisher: Fontana

Pages: 160

First Published: 1900

The Synopsis

Dorothy and her dog Toto are swept up in their house by a cyclone and are deposited in Munchkin Country in the Land of Oz. Dorothy's house lands on the Wicked Witch of the East and saves the Munchkins from her. The story recounts Dorothy's time in the Land of Oz following the yellow brick road till she finally gets to go back home to Kansas.

The Review

This book is for me once again a reminder that you have to read the book before watching the movie. But, with The Wizard of Oz being a beloved movie in most households this is not always possible. And I fear that this may be bad for the book, as the book and the movie are so vastly different. I will say, and you may consider this blasphemy, but it is what I feel that in this case the movie is better than the book. In comparison to the book, the movie seems rather superfluous. I had hoped that this would never be my verdict, but I am sad to say that I did not enjoy this book. I appreciate the movie so much more now, for synthesising this story into something that I truly enjoyed.

from Pinterest
I don't really want to go into why the movie and the book are different and why the movie is better for me than the book, as that is a topic and post genre for another day. I just want to say that I am disappointed that I could not enjoy this book. I skimmed over the last 40 or so pages, not reading them fully, as I just was not enjoying this book, but did not want to cast it aside as unfinished.

This really is not much of a review, but rather an expression of regret. As always, this is a lesson on why we should read the book before watching the movie. Movies taint the book, but sometimes movies can redeem  the story. In this case,  the movie has tainted the book for me, and it makes me quite sad.

"All you have to do is knock the heels together three times and command the shoes to carry you wherever you wish to go" P158

 The movie truly took the best elements of the book and turned it into something magical that has allowed The Wizard of Oz to stand the test of time.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about your sister. My thoughts are with you and your family, and I wish you comfort in the days to come. You will find joy again but for now, just hold tight to the beauty that was the time you had with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words, it gets a bit easier everyday, I just hope to not be too badly affected by the funeral tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.