We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Monthly Roundup: July, the saddest month of the year

July has not been a very good month, and it is definitely not a month that I would like to live over again. Whilst the month started off with very good intentions, it went bad early in, and got worse towards the end. I don't really want to say too much here, I'll leave that for another post to help me deal, but July is a month that has left me sad, and I don't know how long the sadness is going to stay for.

July saw me losing a sister, and whilst I know that it is better for her, because she is no longer suffering, I still feel immense sadness in the face of the loss of my beautiful 22 year old sister - Melissa. Cancer invaded her body 8 years ago, and she fought against it for so long, but it kept coming back and on Wednesday 25 July, it claimed her. That is all I want to say about that for now, but I just want you to understand, that if my posts, thoughts and reviews seem more melancholy and more morbid - this is why.

July also saw an increase in crime in town, which I already wrote about. I only hope that August will be better. And ofcourse the arrival of August brings some consolation: it is the last month of winter.

The Olympic opening Ceremony on Friday night did manage to lift my spirits, it was just so phenomenal, so amazing, so brilliant!!!! But I think this deserves a post dedicated entirely to it, because of the complexity encapsulated in the brilliance.


And now for something completely bookish...

I stopped reading in the middle of the month - things just became a bit too much for me, with everything going on, life just became too real, and pulled me out of the world that I have created for myself in my room with all my books, and all the worlds that they have released. I got readers block, and I just have not been able to get back to my bookish utopia. It saddens me, but I am trying to get back there.

July saw me adding 24 new and 4 second hand books to my already burgeoning collection. July even saw me reading 9 books, imagine how many I would have read had I not stopped half way through the month? I even read the infamous 50 Shades trilogy. I am still debating whether or not to write about it, I probably will, but it will be a psycho-analysis of sorts of the books.

I'll do a book loot post later in the week showcasing the books I got after all of those sale books. I have more than 20 books next to my bed waiting to be read, my short term TBR pile is  becoming out of
control - especially with my lack of reading in the latter half of July, hopefully August will remedy that.

In anticipating the passing of my sister, I ordered Tolstoy and the Purple Chair, as I believe that reading the experiences of others will help you get through the similar situation in your own life. It is odd how the universe works, the book was due to arrive on the 1st of August, but instead arrived on Thursday, the day after my sister died. It is odd, how the universe tries  to provide us with some comfort in trying times. 

Today also marks the end of A Victorian Celebration over at Allie's A Literary Odyssey. I managed to read 3 Victorian Novels, well 2 of them were children's stories, but I am glad that I participated, it made me really look at my Classics Club list, and helped me to see just how many Victorians are on my list.

Plans for August:

Whilst I would love to spend the first weekend of August trying to get back into my reading properly, I won't be able to do much, as it is my sister's funeral on Saturday. I am going to try in earnest this week, to get back  into  my reading after work. And ofcourse, it is also Austen in August this month - hosted by Adam over at Roofbeam Reader, and I really would like to read Northanger Abbey and Sense and Sensibility, so I really hope I can pull myself back into where I should be.

I would like to try and read 5 books this month. I hope to read more, but I think it is better to have a small goal. I ordered a different edition of Anna Karenina and it also arrived on Thursday, so I would like to start reading Anna Karenina, but I am not going to rush my read. I find that with the lengthier tomes, it is better to take it in smaller pieces, instead of trying to cram in the whole book. Aside from helping you to enjoy it more, you also retain more of it.

How was July for you? What are your plans for August?

4 comments:

  1. Sending positive thoughts your way! Cancer is not an easy thing to deal with and in the last two years my father and Mom-in-law both suffered from it.

    Looking forward to seeing your take on 50 Shades of Grey. I have seen it mentioned so many times but have not read a review yet - lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chrizette, I am just hoping to get through the funeral tomorrow, without it affecting me too much.

      I am still trying to figure out how to write the post on 50 Shades, I hope that the inspiration for it will strike soon :)

      Delete
  2. You Are doing so well in the face of real adversity. Kia kaha as we would say here in NZ. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Cheers and good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole, The Show must Go on by Queen has been my theme song during this time, and you're right just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other, and soon I'll be on the otherside of this all :)

      Delete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.