We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Friday, 6 July 2012

The Winter Sale, and the Autumn Sale too

I was up before the sun to get ready to go to the winter sale. You must understand that this is a pretty big deal for me. I live in a town without a book shop. I can hear your gasps, and your silent questions about how I manage in a town without a book shop. And it is only through the use of online book shopping that I manage to stay sane. Add to that the fact that I have to travel for 2 hours to get anywhere with a book shop, it does paint a pretty grim picture. Whilst yesterday morning had its own things that made it feel like Friday the 13th, the scene I encountered made the months of deprivation worth while.

Before yesterday I had not been in a bookshop since December, so it was really a treat to have been in not only one, but two bookshops yesterday. But do allow me to describe to you the scenes that welcomed me...

The Winter Sale
                             Exclusive Books
                                                          Walmer Park

The sale selection in the court was what I first encountered. I saw it from afar, and the adrenaline that was already coursing through my veins intensified, it was book Nirvana seeing so many books in one place. The promise of finding one or two books that would be clutched tightly against my chest made my heart beat faster. What a selection to browse!




Now I had seen the gems that friends and strangers had tweeted about. I couldn't wait to see what the sale had in store for me. And I got a fair few gems that I'll share with you in a little bit. There were so many great books I left behind because I already have them at home. I was hoping to see what others saw, but I must have been too late.




After going through the outside sale stuff, I went inside, and found 3 gems. But what I want to tell you about now was the experience of going into the YA/Children's section of Walmer Park Exclusive Books, it was phenomenal. I went into sensory overload beholding all the books that were on the shelves. I could have just stood there for hours and stared at the expanse of books. It was truly magnificent. I wanted to take all the books home with me so that I could look at them forever. I am sure if I had stayed in there any longer I'd have had a seisure from having to take in so much! It was marvellous! It was such a treat seeing that, and just strengthened my conviction to one day work in a book shop.

My book loving heart was warmed by the sight of all those books. And though I had to leave them all in the shop, I shall be content till I next get to visit a book shop.

The Autumn Sale
                               Bargain Books
                                                          Greenacres


No matter the actual season, there is an Autumn Sale at the second bookshop I visited today. I adore Bargain Books, I always manage to get a bargain, and today was no different. There was a very wide selection of books for their 3 books for R99 deal. I walked away with 9 books for just under R300, and I am sure that if I had more time to dig I'd have found more.

So behold my sale loot...




                                             
                                             From the Winter Sale



Alexander the Great - Lewis V. Cummings
Rumpelstiltskin and other Grimm Tales - Carol Anne Duffy
Metamorphosis and other stories - Franz Kafka
All the Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
The Deerslayer - James Fenimore Cooper
Troilus and Cressida - Jeffrey Chaucer
Toorberg - Ettienne van Heerden
Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

                                                                                     From the Autumn Sale




Lord of Misrule - Rachel Caine
Carpe Corpus - Rachel Caine
Feast of Fools - Rachel Caine
Sweet Little Lies - Lauren Conrad
Abandon - Meg Cabot
Captivate - Carrie Jones
Matchless - Gregory Maguire
Divergent - Veronica Roth
                                                         The Amber Spyglass - Phillip Pullman

Whilst I may not get to book shops very often, when I do I get plenty of great titles, and enough of a glow to last me to my next book shop foray and when that glow fades, there's always online shopping..

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.