We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, 1 August 2012

August Classics Club Meme

Every month the Classics Club Meme will pose a questions to those participating in the Classics Club so that we can get to know one another a bit better.

This month's question is: What is your favourite Classics Book? Why?

This is a tricky question for 2 reasons. 1. There are so many amazing Classics out there, that it is difficult to choose only one. 2. I am not nearly well read enough in the Classics to be able to answer this as well as I should. I think that this is a question I should ask myself every 6 months, or once a year.


Bearing all  that in mind, I have to say that for now, Gone with the Wind is probably my favourite Classic. I have only read it once so far, but it is on my Classics Club list, so I'll be reading it at the veryleast once more. With more than a thousand pages, looking at this book does intimidate you the first time around. I had my library's copy for months before I finally read it. I got tired of putting off reading it, I thought I should just get it over and done with, and I thought it was going to be a real chore, especially when I checked to see the number of pages. But then I started page one, and I was hooked. I got sucked into the story right away. I was swept away on a journey to the 1800s, I experienced life in the Confederacy, I saw how life became unstable in the South, I saw fiery, passionate Scarlet O'Hara fight, I saw how Atlanta changed, I saw how Scarlet eventually grew up, I felt Scarlet's losses. I was mesemerised by the beauty of the story, the words washed over me. I was never bored by the descriptions of the way the railway expanded, the beauty of the words just blew me away.

I had planned to read Gone with the Wind slowly after I realised that it was such an amazing book, part by part, but after part 3 I could delay knowing the whole story no longer. I just had to know where Margaret Mitchell was taking me. I stayed up through the night for 2 whole nights, I could not put the book down, I slept during the day and then picked the book up again, I just had to finish it. I had to see the full picture. And it was so worth the sleep that I lost, but then you get to the end, and you get to that iconic movie line "[frankly] my dear I don't give a damn" and it breaks your heart.

But all that pales a bit in comparison to the fact that you got to live another life in another time, and you got to see what the world was like, and you got to see how much it changed in such a short period of time. Well, that is what Gone with the Wind was like for me.

And that is the beauty of reading, you get to visit a world you other wise would not have been able to, and you emerge a different person - and it makes me feel so sorry for those who find no joy or pleasure in reading for fun.

16 comments:

  1. Ha! You are on top of this meme!! So you know, it goes live tomorrow at the new Classics Club site:

    http://theclassicsclubblog.wordpress.com/monthly-meme/

    That said, I treausre Gone With the Wind. It is my favorite novel of all time, and I'm not sure anything can top it. I'll be rereading it for the fourth time, for the Classics Club. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I long to reread Gone with the Wind, I just wish that it could happen that the TBR pile gets shorter, and not miles longer everyday.

      Cannot wait to check out the new Classics Club blog!!!

      Delete
  2. Ha! I knew Jillian would be all over this!

    I used to have a copy of this, back when I was in my early teens I think, and I was too intimidated by its size and never read it. Older now, I know better than to let that scare me and I added this to my list. I cannot wait to read it! I won't be ready to start with the read-along that I believe is scheduled for next month?

    Hope you've had a chance to check out our new site! We are so excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you have to read Gone with the Wind it is the most amazing book ever!!!

      Delete
  3. I simply adore this book too. My sister recommended it to me when I was about 15 and I don't think I slept for the three or so days it took me to read. And I had tears rolling down my face as I finished it.

    Since then, I've read it twice more and it's definitely up there with my favourites. Great post :)

    I'm a new follower of your blog, looking forward to reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you and me both, I stayed up during the night, I could not stop till my eyes just hurt too much to read anymore.

      Thank you for following :)

      Delete
  4. It cracks me up that Jillian was the first one here. :)

    but really, this is a GREAT book. Before I read it, I always had this impression it was some piece of fluff. I was quite surprised when I read it, and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you loved it, never judge a book by its premise...

      Delete
  5. I love Gone With the Wind too! Your post makes me want to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait to reread, I love how you get sucked into the story :)

      Delete
  6. I love this book, too. I still have a grown-up crush on Rhett Butler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's Margaret Michell's Mr Darcy *sigh* you are not alone, many have a crush on that devil Rhett Butler

      Delete
  7. One of my favorites as well, even though it breaks my heart every time I finish it! The ending is part of what makes it such an effecting, memorable novel, but doesn't mean I don't wish a different one for Rhett and Scarlett. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending really broke my heart, I just could not stand it, they were supposed to have a happily ever after - and it kills me that they don't.

      Delete
  8. I love this book (and movie) too. Scarlett is so feisty. So annoying and selfish at the start. The growth in her character is inspiring. Heart-breaking and delightful, epic and personal...it has everything.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.