We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Sunday, 28 October 2012

#9 Book - Of Mice and Men

"Uh-uh. Jus' a dead mouse, George. I didn' kill it. Honest! I found it. I found it dead."

Title: Of Mice and Men

Author: John Steinbeck

Pages: 106

Publisher: Penguin

Source: own

The Synopsis

George and his large, simple-minded friend Lennie are drifters, with nothing in the world except each other - and a dream. A dream that one day they will have some land of their own, somewhere to settle and live in peace. Finding work on a ranch in California's Salinas Valley, they hope to stay long enough to get some money together. But kind-hearted, childlike Lennie is prone to getting into trouble - unable to control either his emotions or his enormous strength, he is a target for the casual cruelty of others. And when disaster strikes again, it seems that this time George may not be able to save his friend...


The Review

Of Mice and Men gave me what I like to call a Seymour Glass moment at the end. I saw it coming in the last 10 or so pages, but I didn't think it would end the way that it did.

I have not been so saddened or felt so scarred by a book since I read Wuthering Heights. Of Mice and Men just helps to highlight how unfair life is. You do realise that in using a similar scenario twice in the book that what George did at the end was really best for Lennie.

I do feel that a comparison can be drawn between George and Seymour Glass in their actions and rationalisation. George and  Lennie are both in very unfair situations. I am actually just overwhelmed by this book. It starts and moves along steadily, and you don't expect it to end the way that it does. It does make you wonder though, who is to blame? Can anyone really be blamed? What would you have done? And come to the conclusion that life is just really unfair.

I would not recommend this book for sensitive readers as it will scar you, but I do believe that this is a book everyone should read at least once in their lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.