We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, 20 November 2012

50 Shades of Ick


I am ashamed to say that I succumbed to the curiosity regarding the popularity of 50 shades of grey. It was just an abstract concept until I saw them in bookshops, and saw it was real, and I just had to know what the big deal was. I know that I am late to write about the 50 Shades trilogy, but better late than never, right?

Yes, I read all 3 books in a weekend. Yes, I had to know where it was going. I am only human. No, I was not hot and bothered. No, I didn't blush. I found these books rather tame. I had a good laugh whilst reading them, and really I don't see what the big deal was. I thought I was going to be hot and bothered and 50 shades of blushed, instead I was annoyed by Anastasia's limited vocabulary, and she's supposed to be an English major? Honestly, if you want to read a book that will shock you and have you hot and bothered, and 50 shades of scarlet, then read Revenge by Sharon Osbourne - now that is a page turner! That is a book you can justify not being able to put down! 



I thought the whole BDSM thing was over rated when people spoke about it - really this stuff has to have been watered down. I expected it to be so much worse. Unless it was merely an incredibly bad case of exaggeration?

Now, let's get to the real stuff regarding 50 shades and why it's such a hit, obviously it's not the writing that has you wanting more. What it is, is the unhealthy Hollywood idea that for the perfect relationship you have to find a damaged man and fix him so he'll be yours forever. This doesn't happen. It is not real. You cannot change or fix a man. You certainly cannot transform someone who is so damaged. That's not real life, you're not going to get that, and if you do you're not going to have a happy ending.

So it sells because it fulfils a fantasy, and gives women an excuse to read erotica and be a bit more obvious like men, but it certainly is not what it's cracked up to be and sadly is leaving no classic safe with the emergence of erotica that can now be read in the open. I for one hope that it'll go gently into that good night because this is not a literary trend that'll do any good. It’s only popular smut.

1 comment:

  1. I don't read those Fifty Shades Of books because I think they are a set of manuals on how to have an affair. I don't like books with detailed sex scenes in it. Gimme a good, juicy mystery story or a nice interesting murder story, like the ones James Patterson writes, and I'm set. Or gimme a good biography on someone like Ronnie Wood, Steven Tyler or Mick Jagger and I'm also set. I love bios. Must be something I inherited from my dad, lol!!!

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.