We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Monday, 12 November 2012

666 Park Avenue - Gabriella Pierce

What if your mother-in-law turned out to be an evil, cold-blooded witch... literally?

Title: 666 Park Avenue

Author: Gabriella Pierce

Pages: 307

Publisher: William Morrow

Source: bought

Welcome to the Upper East Side, where the socialites are witches.

The Synopsis

Ever since fabulously wealthy Malcolm Doran walked into her life and swept her off her feet, fledgling architect Jane Boyle has been living in a fairy tale. When he proposes with a stunning diamond to seal the deal, Jane can't believe her incredible luck and decides to leave her Paris-based job to make a new start with Malcolm in New York.
But when Malcolm introduces Jane to the esteemed Doran clan, one of Manhattan's most feared and revered families, Jane's fairy tale takes a darker turn. Soon everything she thought she knew about the world - and herself - is upended. Now Jane must struggle with new-found magical abilities and the threat of those who will stop at nothing to get them.

The Review

When I saw this book among sale books on Kalahari, I was intrigued but I did not put it in my basket. A while later I read about a new series called 666 Park Avenue, and I thought it sounded familiar. So whilst I was browsing through the sale items again, and saw that this book was still available,  I had to have it. A book has to be pretty amazing if it's your debut and it gets turned into a tv series. 3 days later and the book arrived for me to read. I picked it up that weekend, and was quite intrigued, finishing it within the busy week that I had. But now onto the thing you actually want to know about... What did I think of this book?

In short I LOVED IT! This is definitely a book that you can relax with - the story allows you to get swept up into it and there is not too much thought required, so if you're looking for a book to kick back with this is definitely it. The characters are well developed with their own story lines, the story is well developed - never did I feel bored, it all unfolded very well. The plot and the intrigue was wonderful - it ended on a cliff hanger, so you know I have to get the next book, and for once, I am not dismayed by the fact that a book that I have read is not a standalone.

Malcolm is so swoon worthy, Jane is someone you just can't help liking, and like Jane from the very beginning you feel something is up with Malcolm's mother. This book, despite being about witches, was very believably written and honestly I wish more series books were written like this (YES, I am looking at YOU House of Night!!!!!). So if you're in the mood for a book that is a bit more grown up than YA but not as grown up as say Joanna Trollope, then get yourself Ms Pierce's debut - I promise you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.