We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Fated - Alyson Noel

Title: Fated

Author: Alyson Noel

Pages: 448

Publisher: Pan Macmillan

Source: bought

Other: Book 1 in Soul Seekers Series

The Synopsis


Strange things are happening to Daire Santos. Crows mock her, glowing people stalk her, time stops without warning, and a beautiful boy with unearthly blue eyes haunts all her dreams. Fearing for her daughter's sanity, Daire's mother sends her to live with the grandmother she's never met, but who recognizes the visions for what they truly are—the call to her destiny as a Soul Seeker—one who can navigate the worlds between the living and dead.

There on the dusty plains of Enchantment, New Mexico, Daire sets out to harness the powers of her ancestral legacy, but it's when she meets Dace, the boy from her dreams, when things take an alarming turn. Forcing Daire to discover if Dace is the one guy she's meant to be with...or if he's allied with the enemy she's destined to destroy.


The Review

I will admit, I dove into this book without knowing very much about it. I find that it is a very liberating experience doing that - going into a book with no expectations. I am so very glad that I did that, as I was quite pleasantly surprised by this book. I'll be honest with you, Alyson Noel for me is one of those authors that I automatically have on my TBR list, despite not having read anything except a short story of hers before this. (I'll be reviewing Kisses from Hell shortly, and you can read about it there). I will also tell you, that after reading Fated, Alyson Noel has earned a spot on my favourite authors list. I have all the Immortals books, and will slowly be collecting her other books too, since her books are so well written. I am even more amazed when you look at the short period during publications, 2 books from the Soul Seekers per year, leaves us with the whole series in 2 years instead of waiting an impossibly long 4 years. I do wish that more authors could do this. But enough about my rambling, and gushing and onto the important part... what I thought of the book...

I found Fated intriguing from the very start. The way we are introduced to Daire and her ability, and how it makes her seem crazy, to how the rest of it pans out. It is a very compelling story. Aside from the story line, the elements of Shamanism and magic and spirit animals is very fascinating and so well described. Alyson's research certainly paid off. Everything is written so exceptionally well that you can imagine yourself in Daire's shoes as she discovers this whole new world and her talents. This book managed to re-awaken my inner anthropologist, so I'll definitely be getting a few mythology books to read up and review soon. There are the twins - Dace and Cade, and I am certain that they will make the story very interesting, considering the story of their origins.

This is a book that you have to read, so that I can one day write about Fated again and include spoilers, as there is just so much I want to say but can't, because I don't want to give anything away and ruin it for you.

And Something Extra

If you would like to see some photos that Alyson took whilst researching for this series, click here. I cannot tell you how impressed I am by both this book and  Alyson. I hope to one day also get the chance to do a Shamanism course and find out my spirit animal, and all the things described in this book, because life is just too filled with fascinating things that have to be experienced.

This book is definitely a great example of why reading is so much more than sitting still and processing words, it definitely supports the quote that says that the person who reads lives more lives than the person who doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.