We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Begininnings and Endings - The January Edition

"Every story has an ending... But in life, every ending is just a new beginning" Dakota Fanning


I always find it quite sad when a new year begins, because it means that a year has ended. The year that has ended may have had many good things or some bad things, but it was a year that was no longer a scary completely blank slate. It was a year that you sort of knew what to anticipate from. But it was also a year that dealt you a hand that you may not have been to happy with, so it is that we welcome the rolling in of the new year. I can't say whether I am happy or sad about the ending of 2012 and the beginning of 2013 or if I finally have a balance of both, but I do look forward to a New Year where the possibilities are endless, and promises excitement.

And so it is with open arms that I usher in the New Blogging year with many changes to Bibliophilia. I'll not go into too much detail as I am afraid I might jinx it, but just know that things are going to change around here, and I do think that the changes  I have been working on will be novel ones. I just hope no one has had the same idea as me, as I'll feel less awesome for having thought up the changes which I am bringing.

Having said that, the theme for this month is Beginnings and Endings, but that could go either way- making you excited or nostalgic, so for this month only *liable to change I am going to have 2 topics for this month. Onto Beginnings and Endings then...

Beginnings 

2013 is an exciting book year as there are so many new books coming out - many of them come in the form of the trusty standalone and many of them in the popular form of new series - I'll not be highlighting all of these new books, as that could take me all year, but I do feel that a special mention for anticipated books of 2013 has to go out to the marvelous and oh so kind (she tweets back!!!!) Victoria Schwab. I have been intrigued by her 2013 release since it was given a pseudonym Awesomesauce and was unveiled to be The Archived! I read the sneak peek on NetGalley and I have to tell you, I have been salivating for MONTHS at the thought of reading The Archived. I am so very excited and relieved that the release date is just 12 days away!!! I am so ordering the hardcover - I don't care if it breaks the bank, I just have to have it soon as possible!!! I am also excited that it is the first of a series by Victoria Schwab, so I cannot wait for my extended stay in the world of The Archived.

To Be Continued

I also cannot wait for the next 2 books -Mystic and Horizon- in the Soul Seekers Series by Alyson Noel who is also really awesome! She tweets back too! It's rather sad though that their continuance leads to their end, but I like this whole 4 book series thing - unlike House of Night with so many and no end in sight. And of course there is the next book in the Cinder series - Scarlet - by Marissa Meyer. And then there are the fairy tale retellings from Jackson Pearce - they are one of my new favourite things.

Endings

2013 is also a bitter sweet book year, as two of my favourite series are coming to an end. It will be the last time I get to venture into a new part of the world of Sookie Stackhouse and all the supernaturals that she attracts. I am sad that Charlaine Harris will no longer be writing any more books for the Southern Vampire Mystery series, but I understand that it is time, and I don't want the story to suffer just so I can have more. All good things must come to an end, but it is still difficult to accept. So I shall savour Dead Ever After when it comes out.

Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins who creates a world that I just want to dive into and stay there because the boys are so wonderful - will be the last book in the series that first introduced us to Anna and St Clair and Lola and Cricket. I cannot wait to see who Isla ends up with, but I am still sad that it will be the last book in the series. Then there is also the last book in the Park Avenue Series by Gabriella Pierce, I am hoping for a Jane and Malcolm happily ever after ending. The Starcrossed Trilogy from Josephine Angelini also comes to an end - I don't know how I am going to manage without more Delos boys adventures. Just so you know, Josie is pretty awesome too, she tweets back!

But enough sadness, and onto my second topic...

The Boys in Books...

I am not ashamed to admit that I have fallen in love several times. Only twice were they with real boys, all the other times they were with boys in books. More times than I can remember actually I have fallen in love with the boys in books. More recently, there have been a few, and I'd like to talk a bit about them, and try and figure out why it is that it is so easy to fall in love with the boys in books.

Rhett Butler what can I say - he is a scalawag - a cad, but he is also just so dashing in his contrariness to the rules of society. I suppose that it is little wonder that Gone with the Wind is one of my favourite all time books. When he says to Scarlet "You should be kissed, and often, by someone who knows how" he stole my heart. I wish someone would say something as daring as that to me. What made him even more endearing was how he loved Scarlet even though she didn't see it till it was too late. I keep wishing that they could find a lost sequel or missing pages from Margaret Mitchell where Scarlet gets Rhett to love her again. My heart broke when he said "My dear I don't give a damn" - I was devastated, how could he just stop loving her after all that?

Noah Shaw seemed just too good to possibly be true. How could a guy just be so perfect and not have some or other agenda? There was a point in The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer where I was so besotted with Noah that even if he was the bad boy - as it had started to seem - that I didn't care. I naturally heaved a huge sigh of relief when I learned that he was not the bad guy in the story and could stay on the pedestal that I had put him on.

Wes Baker from The Truth about Forever by Sarah Dessen was just so mysterious and yet so inviting at the same time. The way he made Macy come out of her safe shell. The way he helped her see that she deserved better than Jason. The way he helped her to truly heal and recover from the loss of her father... he is definitely a keeper. We could all use a Wes in our lives.

Damen Auguste stole my heart rather quickly in Evermore in the first book of The Immortals Series by Alyson Noel. He was just so perfect, so charming, and so very into Ever despite her weirdness towards him. When it was revealed what the red tulips mean, I was all weak in the knees.

Damon Salvatore in the books The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith was largely coloured for me by the Damon Salvatore portrayed by Ian Somerhalder in the TV Series The Vampire Diaries. I pictured him whilst reading the books, and honestly - the way he is damaged yet so hard on himself really earned him a special place in my heart - but more because of how ardently he loves Elena. I want an undamaged Damon of my own.

Etienne St Clair from Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins had me falling for him pretty quickly. The way he showered Anna with attention and made he feel so special, was just so alluring. His sad story also helped to endear him to me even more, especially since he didn't really want it shared - but wanted to carry his burden on his own.

Loki and Finn from the Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking were both appealing very soon after they appeared on the pages of these books. Finn drove me insane with the whole, 'I love you but I shouldn't be with you but I am not really going to back off' thing that he had going on. Whilst Loki had this 'I could be dangerous, but I could be trapped and so have to seem like your captor, but I am really into you and want to be with you if you'd just trust me' thing going on. And well, even though I was rooting for a Wendy-Finn relationship at the beginning, I was really happy that Wendy and Loki ended up together and got to have a happily ever after.

Lucas Delos and his seemingly impossible love for Helen in the Starcrossed Trilogy by Josephine Angelini had me not long after he appeared on the page. His mysteriousness and the way he helps Helen to see her powers as a Scion and the way he loves her and she loves him is just so perfect that they just have to end up together!

Why do we love the boys in books?

The first thing I notice when I look at the list of my favourite boys in  books is that all of the books that they appear in are written by female authors. I do believe that there in lies a clue as to why the boys I mentioned appealed to me. Female authors are able to create the characters that they wish were real, the type of characters that appeal to us, the kind of boys that we wish were real, but really I don't think they are. These authors create the kind of boys that we need in real life, that would be there for us no matter what - the kind of boys that are mature and caring and kind. The kind of boys that we wish existed. The kind of boys that we all deserve.

Which boys in books have you fallen in love with? What made you fall in love with them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.