We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Saturday, 2 February 2013

The Exclusive Books Red Trolley Dash

 I entered in 2012 for the Winter Sale Trolley Dash, but that was not meant to be. I have always dreamt of having a shopping dash, it goes back to my days of watching K.TV (when it was still awesome and played the original power rangers) and they had the Reggie's Rush.

I entered for the Summer Sale Trolley Dash last week, and had very high hopes. Sadly, it was not meant to be either. And then on Wednesday Exclusive Books decided to have one more Red Trolley Dash competition for the Summer Sale. I have to tell you, I was leery. I was jaded. I wasn't going to enter. But boy, am I glad I did! Because Friday morning my name was there amongst the other lucky winners.

I was thrilled! I was excited! Finally this dream of mine would be coming true! But then the anxiety started creeping in... 60 seconds is not a very long time. How am I going to make the logistics of grabbing and packing work for me in 60 seconds? I did a practice run at home, and it was not that bad. I figured, hey I can do this! I slept rather soundly Thursday night, thinking up strategies to get the most of those precious 60 seconds!

Friday morning arrived rather quickly, and I was super excited on my journey to Port Elizabeth. I think the 2 hour drive helped me to stay sane. Pulling up at Walmer Park I started to get all jittery, the adrenaline started pumping, and I started shaking with excitement! The Manager was at lunch, so I used the time I waited to browse and come up with strategies to grab multiples of certain items. I was advised by a very friendly employee, Lumka, on how the process works, and was cheered on by her to grab more than the previous week's winner did.

Finally the time came for me to grab, and grab I did. Multiples of many items, big token items, books that I have wanted for a long time, and some other randoms. You see, this was a great gift in the year of the Dragon that was timed perfectly. Whilst I took books for gifts, I also took books to sell, since I have to relocate to Cape Town and set up shop there, but more on that some other time. I cannot tell you the relief when I didn't have to bag them after grabbing them, but handed them over to an assistant from Exclusive books instead.

Those seconds flew by so quickly, but I managed to grab over R8600's books! They filled 5 boxes. The trolley that the staff put them into was overflowing! Definitely the best Friday ever, and a fantastic start to February.


 Here are photos of my haul...

The trolley that was filled by my grabbing!
The boxes my haul filled
Biographies I have wanted for a while
The most expensive item
A section of my haul, several stacks with multiples
Some kiddies books
Some random and purposeful grabs
Goldie says "I has book love too"
Great finds esp. Julia Child Mastering the Art of French Cooking!
Some more purposeful and accidental grabs
I do love Beatrix Potter!
There you have it folks, quite a haul even if I say so myself. 103 items grabbed. Have you ever won a dash? What was it like for you?

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic Haul! Isn't it just one of the best competitions ever?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is impressive! Congratulations on winning the competition, and congratulations for getting so many books in just 60 seconds! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! It is a phenomenal competition, I just wish they had it more often!

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.