We owe it to each other to tell stories - Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, 1 January 2014

Looking back at 2013 and looking forward to 2014



Happy New Year to everyone reading this post! I hope that 2014 will be a much more prosperous year for you than 2013 and that 2014 will be filled with phenomenal new books!

2013 was an interesting year for me. I moved from the Eastern Cape to the Western Cape. I met several new people. I made many new friends. I got to meet some twitter friends in person. I went to my first Warehouse Sale.

2013 was also a year where I fell very short on my reading goals. Since starting Bibliophilia 2013 was the year that saw me with the lowest reading stats. I only managed a paltry 30 books. Yes it is 30 books more than some people have read, but for someone who is accustomed to reading 50+ books a year 30 is a great disappointment. 

2013 also saw the least blog posts on Bibliophilia since its inception. Very disappointing – but I am working on the work/life balance and I hope quite fervently that I’ll fare better in 2014.

But enough negativity – let’s focus on the positive things that happened in a brief summary of 2013:


  • I won a Red Trolley Dash with Exclusive Books and managed to grab over R8000’s worth of books.

  • I met Cat Hellisen and Nerine Dorman. Cat signed my copy of When the Sea is Rising Red. The same day I met Tammy February of Women24’s Book Club and blogger over at The Book Fairy’s Haven. I also met Lauren Smith of Violin in a Void.

  • Tammy got a copy of The Imagined Child signed by Joanne Richards signed for me at the Franschoek Literary Festival.

  • I got an amazing haul of books from the Exclusive Books Warehouse Sale including numerous Penguin English Library titles.

  • I was approached by Candice Wiggett of Penguin Books to review books for Penguin.

  • I got some awesome swag for pre-ordering The Archived and Vicious by Victoria Schwab.

So as far as bookish things go 2013 was not a bad year. I just fell short of my reading and blogging targets. 

I remain hopeful that 2014 will be a better and more interesting year as far as books, blogging and bookish events go. So here are my bookish goals for 2014:


  •   Read 40 books. Not a very high number, but I would like to read more in 2014 than I did in 2013.
  • Read at least 5 classics. 2013 saw me reading only 1 classic – which is just wrong.

  • Get back into posting Classics Club reads.

  • Go to the Cape Town Book Fair.
  • Be more active on Bibliophilia and in the blogosphere in general.

That looks pretty good for now.  I can always add more items later as the year progresses and I make progress on these goals.



Do you have any bookish goals for 2014? What kind of bookish year was 2013 for you?

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the challenges you've set for yourself! Happy reading in 2014!

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.